DDAL [DDAL] Need help deciding: flavor vs (a bit of) function

Gecko85

Explorer
I have a Goblin Barbarian (Zealot) [I have the cert that allows goblin without Volo's counting as my +1]. For a while now he's been wielding Goblin Render (+1 Longsword that glows blue when within 20ft of a goblin - rumored to have slain many goblins). He doesn't know that it glows because he's a goblin, he just knows it's "pretty". He also knows nothing of its history.

Last night's adventure had the Opal of the Ild Rune, which would allow me to turn a non-magic weapon into a magic weapon (with no to-hit bonus) that deals an additional 1d6 fire damage.

Story-wise, if I took the Opal, I'd say that someone told me about Goblin Render's history, so I chucked it in the ocean in disgust.

So, my internal debate/hand-wringing is this: is an addition 1d6 (potentially 2d6 since I have Extra Attack) per round worth losing both the flavor of a goblin wielding Goblin Render, and the +1 to-hit bonus? The way I figure it, if I hit with both attacks that's an additional average damage of 6, minus the 2 I would have had from Goblin Render, for an average additional damage per round of 4. Potentially higher (of course) with better than average rolls, and especially with crits. Damage wise I'd at worst break even (a 1 on both d6 = +1 from each hit with Goblin Render). But, again, losing the +1 to-hit...

I'm torn. Help me make up my mind! (Please)

FarBeyondC

Explorer
I'd personally keep both, if it's possible, and dual wield the Goblin Render and Ild Rune weapon. But that's definitely not optimal.

Alternatively, keep both (again if possible) and switch between the two depending on the circumstances.

If you have to choose to keep only one, though, story-wise I'd keep the Goblin Render and mechanics-wise I'd keep the Opal of the Ild Rune (I like the extra d6 more than the +1 to hit and damage).

Gecko85

Explorer
I'd personally keep both, if it's possible, and dual wield the Goblin Render and Ild Rune weapon. But that's definitely not optimal.

Alternatively, keep both (again if possible) and switch between the two depending on the circumstances.

If you have to choose to keep only one, though, story-wise I'd keep the Goblin Render and mechanics-wise I'd keep the Opal of the Ild Rune (I like the extra d6 more than the +1 to hit and damage).

Thanks for the reply. Dual-wielding isn't an option because I'm using a shield. I thought about keeping both and switching out depending on the circumstances, but story-wise that feels a bit cheesy. I think if he's going to use anything other than Goblin Render there needs to be a very good reason (and finding out it's slain untold number of goblins is a very good reason!)

jasper

Rotten DM
It is basically even. With the cert I would say it is a +0 magical weapon so that bypasses the resistances. Remember you magic item limit is tier 1 -1, Tier 2 - 3 etc.

aco175

Legend
I would figure out a story reason to go with the fire sword and keep the other one until you can melt it down to make something else story related.

Remove ads