DDAL DDAL05 vs SKT?

ruso

First Post
Quick question.
Since DDAL05 is called "Storm King’s Thunder Adventures" are the adventures in this module the same as in WoTC Storm King’s Thunder Adventure book? Or are this two different things just so happened that they share the name?

Anthraxus

Explorer
Yes, they were meant to be as parts of a greater whole. The Season 5 standalone adventures("Modules") happen at the same time as the Storm King's Thunder HC book, and can reference the same plotline/events/characters from the book. You can even interlace some of the S5 mods in between the chapters of the book, and should be able to maintain the same adventure feel.

Edit: I myself run just the modules as I get more drop-in/drop-out players at the stores where I DM. The HC adventures work better with a more consistent group of players. You can use one, the other, or both!

ruso

First Post
Yes, they were meant to be as parts of a greater whole. The Season 5 standalone adventures("Modules") happen at the same time as the Storm King's Thunder HC book, and can reference the same plotline/events/characters from the book. You can even interlace some of the S5 mods in between the chapters of the book, and should be able to maintain the same adventure feel.

Edit: I myself run just the modules as I get more drop-in/drop-out players at the stores where I DM. The HC adventures work better with a more consistent group of players. You can use one, the other, or both!

I was planing to run DDAL05-02 and 03 and then move to SKT HC if the group is still interested in playing DnD. Based on the above, the two DDAL modules won't spoil(er) the campaign, correct?

NeverLucky

First Post
They're completely separate stories that share a similar theme (giants). Some of the tier 2 adventures allow players to learn some of the backstory related to the Ordning, but nothing really spoils the secret parts of SKT.

Remove ads