• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI Progress

lrsach01

Explorer
What you say makes no sense.

Sure it does. The more stations available increases the chances that something can go wrong. When something goes wrong, bad things get reported. It's a tried and true method when demonstrating not quite ready for release computer tech. Steve Jobs or Bill Gates gets up on the stage with ONE computer or ONE system and demonstrates the ONE or maybe two apps that work. By constricting things down to two stations per working function, WotC effectively decreases the chance that something goes wrong. But remember, this a system that is supposed to be an online gaming table available to thousands...but they can only get it to work for a total of FOUR stations. I'll admit, I don't know how many computer hook ups a station accounts for. Perhaps a station is 10 plus and they are really limited to space available (which I STILL doubt...this is WotC and I'm SURE they have enough pull to get as much space as they want). And they STILL can't show us the virtual table.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
The more stations available increases the chances that something can go wrong.

So exactly why would it then be better for WotC to have more stations demoing the stuff that they are still developing?

The more stations set up, the more things can go wrong, the more people it takes to fix the problems, and the more bad exposure the tools get.

So please explain why WotC would want to have more stations?

/M

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Implying that I did, or am going to, insult him is not a polite thing to do.

I didn't mean to imply that you, personally, had done so. You did imply that flack was a foregone conclusion - I was simply noting which kinds were acceptable, and which were not. I'm a moderator - it is part of my job.

Next time, if you have a problem with something a moderator says about behavior of people on the boards, please take it to e-mail. Our addresses are in a post stickied to the top of the Meta forum.

lrsach01

Explorer
So exactly why would it then be better for WotC to have more stations demoing the stuff that they are still developing?

The more stations set up, the more things can go wrong, the more people it takes to fix the problems, and the more bad exposure the tools get.

So please explain why WotC would want to have more stations?

/M

My point exactly. :)

IF they have so few stations available, the functions they are demonstrating CANNOT be even CLOSE to a final...except maybe cosmetically. If WotC COULD have more stations, they WOULD. If they were close at even GETTING to an ALPHA test, they would be able to have at least 10 computers running simultaneously.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
In my experience in software development, no quality software is released on time. You generally have a choice between releasing crap on time or having a schedule slip but still releasing what you promised. What WotC is experiencing is really no different then when Blizzard decides to delay shipping their games.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
My point exactly. :)

And WotC:s as well. They are saying, officially, that the stuff aint ready yet. And that there's lots of developing going on.

So WotC is saying it aint done, you are saying it aint done, everybody is saying it aint done. So I guess it aint done yet.

/M

lrsach01

Explorer
And WotC:s as well. They are saying, officially, that the stuff aint ready yet. And that there's lots of developing going on.

So WotC is saying it aint done, you are saying it aint done, everybody is saying it aint done. So I guess it aint done yet.

/M

Which is WHY I'm so disappointed. At the Announcement at GenCon 07, we were led to believe that the DDI was going to be available by now....including the Virtual Table, character generator and the rest. Now WotC has so little to show they are forced to run such a limited demo. Again...see my disappointment?

Shemeska

Adventurer
What WotC is experiencing is really no different then when Blizzard decides to delay shipping their games.

Yes but how often does one of the software engineers involved on a project include what appears to be a disclaimer in their resume regarding what they did and didn't work on for a failed project?

"(Not responsible for the look and feel, or the fractured images, only the site operation.)"

Then there's the apparent fact (as mentioned on the blog of one of their coders) that Radiant Machine is closing its doors after finishing out their first and final projects Gleemax and DDI.

At this point we can only speculate what went sour where, when, and on who's end of the whole Gleemax/DDI issue. NDAs probably prevent anyone on either side from saying too terribly much.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
There are two stations for the character builder (the sheet) and two for the vizualizer (3d creator). The booth has finte space and we have account for other brands and demos. It is smaller than last year to boot so that is what we allocated.

In the RPGA hall there will be 6 seats for the game table. The demo is this is more intensive and we have limited staff so there you go.

Flame away if you feel incensed.

lrsach01

Explorer
There are two stations for the character builder (the sheet) and two for the vizualizer (3d creator). The booth has finte space and we have account for other brands and demos. It is smaller than last year to boot so that is what we allocated.

In the RPGA hall there will be 6 seats for the game table. The demo is this is more intensive and we have limited staff so there you go.

Flame away if you feel incensed.

ooo never flame....nothing EVER gets done that way. I'm fairly certain people art WotC are cheezed that they can't do a bigger demo...for whatever reason. OK..so working from the new info...6 seats at the table I assume each person will be able to control their character and that these will be pre-gens. Now...what about the term "station?" Am I correct in thinking this is just a single computer?

Remove ads