• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI September/October Update info

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
So...I'm no programmer, heck I'm barely above end user who calls tech support because they keep locking out their password type. Does this mean I must be connected to the web to use the CB? If it is, I will certainly not be a happy camper.

I bet that's EXACTLY what that means. And that sucks A$$. :(

Festivus

First Post
I'll wait to see what unfolds, but there are a number of mac users who might do the happy dance if they do make the CB a web app. Personally I don't care much one way or the other but I will dislike not being able to use a CB offline. Perhaps they will offer both?

renau1g

First Post
Yeah I'll hold off on my nerd rage until I have a bit more info (;)) because if it means you can only access it while online, it also means that they'll likely cut you off once you stop the monthly payment gravy train /conspiracy theory

Zaran

Adventurer
I don't see how anyone can really pirate the CB. Giving out 5 downloads, I would think they expect us to share even if they don't officially acknowledge it. You would still need to log onto DDI to get updates and everyone can download the free teaser version so what exactly is being pirated?

Markn

First Post
We get an update this month - yay! It does not have any Dark Sun or Essentials in the CB/MB tool - boo/hiss! Announcement of new web based tools - boo/hiss (I think anyways). Should be great for Mac Users - yay!

That about sums up my feelings to this announcement.

I wonder if the new web based tools will also include PDF access to 4e books? Just a thought...

Also, a little worried based on previous web based tools WotC has shown. They were pretty crappy but I will wait for the new tools before making any judgement.

Markn

First Post
I don't see how anyone can really pirate the CB. Giving out 5 downloads, I would think they expect us to share even if they don't officially acknowledge it. You would still need to log onto DDI to get updates and everyone can download the free teaser version so what exactly is being pirated?

Torrent sites provide the CB with all the updates to a given month. Usually its a month behind but with access to that, there is no need to have a subscription ever. It should be pointed out that this is completely illegal.

I can see a lot of lost money due to this for WotC. Add in the fact that now Mac users can use it and WotC should see a spike in subscriptions when it launches.

Markn

First Post
A big Thank-You to WotC_Trevor for giving us some info to chew on. This is VERY much appreciated!

Even if it raises more questions than answers... ;)

Remove ads