DDI Updates in December

renau1g

First Post
Nice. They finally communicated. Don't understand the 1-10 part of Monster Vault though? Why such an arbitrary amount? I guess I'd rather have some than none, but... just appears to fall short for me.

So they will have VTT in Beta, MB in Beta, and the CB in (essentially) late-beta....I hope they're not biting off more than they can chew.

the Jester

Legend
WotC_Trevor said:
The basic roadmap for what comes next focuses on three different things, and the dates for these things haven’t been set in stone so I don’t have that info yet. With that said, the tentative plan is that we’re trying to get all this done in December – though it’s likely specifics may change, or that we may run into some hitches that prevent us from getting it all done this month. Without further ado, here are the pieces we have planned:

* We’re going to launch a beta of the web tools version of Adventure Tools. This will be a web-based version of the Adventure Tools classic, but with new code, and material from the Dark Sun Creature Catalog and level 1-10 material from the Monster Vault. Adventure Tools classic will remain up and downloadable, but the new monsters will only go in the web version.

* Compendium is also going to get another update that includes some information from the Rules Compendium, and level 1-10 material from the Monster Vault.

* And that leaves us with the upcoming Character Builder update. We’re looking at implementing some bug fixes, increasing stability, adding some new features (including an export feature), and adding content from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Dragon 392, and 183.

So there you have it. As I said earlier, it’s likely that some of this may change along the way. When that happens, I’ll drop in and let you know.

While I'm glad that they are acknowledging that these tools are betas, I really wish they would fix something before moving on to the next half-realized thing. Just one thing. Any one thing.

More unusable tools do not help me at all. Beating an unusable tool until it is usable would.

Nice. They finally communicated. Don't understand the 1-10 part of Monster Vault though? Why such an arbitrary amount? I guess I'd rather have some than none, but... just appears to fall short for me.

So they will have VTT in Beta, MB in Beta, and the CB in (essentially) late-beta....I hope they're not biting off more than they can chew.

They probably had too much to do with the Dark Sun CC plus Monster Vault. This way, newbie dms could at least use the MV monsters in DDI.

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
While I'm glad that they are acknowledging that these tools are betas, I really wish they would fix something before moving on to the next half-realized thing. Just one thing. Any one thing.

More unusable tools do not help me at all. Beating an unusable tool until it is usable would.

And if they did what you wanted the other chorus would start loudly complaining about the lack of support updates, and where's the updated monster builder, etc.

I know this is the Internet, but the last bit of your comment was over the top. Please IM me if you have any questions. - Eridanis

Last edited by a moderator:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

True... but the only way for them to find out how much they truly have to beat a tool to make it usable is to put it into open beta and let all of our extra eyes and hands start putting it through its paces. Once we start filling out the bug reports, they'll actually learn the true state of where the program stands.

Better to do that then to not release the beta of the Monster Builder until the CB is "fixed"... because you just end up several months behind on the MB. The number of bugs WotC QA would find in those closed months is nothing compared to what we'll find off the top.

Aegeri

First Post
Monster Vault levels 1-10 only?

Then again the book is very heroic focused so I guess that makes sense. I can't see why they can't stick the epic monsters in, there are only thirteen of them after-all.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Note that the Dark Sun Creature Catalogue is also going in the update. I poked Trevor about it and he updated his sticky.

Remove ads