DDI Updates in December

the Jester

Legend
Better to do that then to not release the beta of the Monster Builder until the CB is "fixed"... because you just end up several months behind on the MB.

Actually, I was referring more to fixing the old, mostly-working MB before they discontinue support of it and move on to a version that will need more months of refinement?

Edit: The news that the DSCC stuff will be in the Compendium is excellent. That's one part of my DDI sub that is going to regain its utility! Thanks for that, WotC!

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
While I'm glad that they are acknowledging that these tools are betas, I really wish they would fix something before moving on to the next half-realized thing. Just one thing. Any one thing.
Amen to this. The memory leaks in Monster Builder Classic are atrocious, even putting aside the fact that the MM3 update broke a lot of the rules elements and screws up math every 20 minutes. Protip: If my PC can run recent video games on their highest settings without batting a proverbial eyelash, your monster database should not induce crippling lag when used for more than an hour. And the funny (which is to say, annoying) thing is, given how much back-and-forth the new web-based Character Builder has to do with the server to accomplish anything, I'm not convinced that MB 2.0 will be any faster to work with than MBC.

Ah well. I'm canceling my DDI anyway -- I'm not going to support an initiative which makes Comcast a key player in my group. Guess I'll need to finish up downloading the Art & Map Galleries and be on my way.

Aegeri

First Post
They aren't releasing any further major monster books for a while now. So I wouldn't be overly worried about the MB getting behind. Given that Dungeon isn't really giving us a lot of really unique monsters - albeit some nice performers like the Cultists and Silt Elementals - I would not be so worried about them missing a few months.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Can someone clarify the monster things for me....

Only the essentials 1-10 and the Darksun monsters in the monster builder? Is that what I read? That's a lot of monsters not there.

Did I read that right?

edit: i think I read that wrong, that is in addition to the old material?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No mention of increasing the storage limit for characters in CB. It's one of the things that I hate the most about the new version and I really hope that it goes away soon.

Dausuul

Legend
Hmm. Well, I'm still miffed about the Character Builder debacle, but this is about as good as I could have hoped for. Forgotten Kingdoms in the CB was the top item on my list.

Beyond that, they have clearly learned a sharp lesson from the Character Builder. Their approach with the Monster Builder is much, much better--explicitly announce the new one as a beta, and keep the old one up until the kinks are worked out from the new. I do feel they ought to keep releasing content for the old Monster Builder until the new one is ready to go, but I can live without that for now (most of my monsters are homebrewed anyway).

buddhafrog

First Post
  • only 20 character slots - seems like a silly problem that should be changed already - but not a deal breaker for me
  • MV monsters lvl 1-10 not perfect, but accepatable now that the online Monster Builder is at least usable. I'm assuming Jan update will include the remainng MV monsters - not a problem
  • bonus # breakdown missing - sigh - please add. - I'm patient
  • No houserules for characters - this is the only deal breaker for me.

I'm ready to subscribe, but I need a more flexible CB first to allow various edits/houserules. When this is ready, I will subscribe.

buddhafrog

First Post
By this do you mean the "Attack Bonus Breakdown" and "Damage Bonus Breakdown" you can see from examining each power? That's in there already, at least at vecna.wizards.com.

yes, and oh?, and cool, and thanks.

Now, show me how I can add house rules and I'll be *very* happy.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
To everyone asking for more than 20 characters, there is nothing else they have to prevent you from handing out your password to your entire game group than limiting the number of characters.

Remove ads