• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDM Scale: 3E v. 4E minis

Jeff Wilder

First Post
There's actually pretty horrible size creep, though it's not a matter of "starting with set X and getting worse." As early as Giants of Legend, some sculptors (or developers) started ignoring (whether purposefully or out of ignorance, no telling) the actual parameters given for the various sizes, and going with "what will fit on the base." The example I found most egregious in GoL was the Dire Wolf. While I love the sculpt, the size is absurd ... the thing is bigger than a Clydesdale! It's supposed to be nine feet long and 800 pounds, but as produced, it's about 14 feet long (not counting tail) and at least 2000 pounds.

This is easiest to see on pieces that have been redone. For example, compare Harbinger's Displacer Beast (which is about the correct size, as described in the MM) with the more recent Displacer Beast Manhunter, which is, again, twice or three times as massive as described. Note how much the Displacer Beast expanded to fit the base, whereas the Harbinger Displacer Beast, while still Large, left a lot of base unused. And the original Fire Giant compared to the Fire Giant Forgepriest. And the Owlbear and Owlbear Rager. And the two Large Red Dragons. And so on.

It's not universally bad (and with a few exceptions, humanoids aren't too bad at all), but in some cases it's pretty ridiculous. Oh, and one recent case had the size creep reversed: compare the most recent Griffon (cool pose, IMO) with those that came before. It must be a baby. Yeah, that's it. Ironically, the most recent griffon is actually closet to the size described in the MM!

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There has certainly been scale creep since Harbinger. If I recall correctly, there was a big jump up around War Drums. The gargoyle in a recent set was simply MASSIVE.
-blarg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads