• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDN and Campaign settings

Mengu

First Post
Aren't we due for a new setting? Even youngest kid Eberron is 10 years old now. Don't mind a new coat of paint on some of the oldies, but I really want something fresh and exciting.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Mystara & Hollow World. If they had Keep on the Borderlands, why not have Karameikos (where it actually took place)?

Another good thing would be Spelljammer, and Planescape.

ComradeGnull

First Post
My roots might be showing, but I would love to see a Mystara/Hollow World campaign setting for the new edition. It has long been my favorite.

I believe I read one novel in the early 90's set on Mystara and played the Hollow World video game on my Sega Genesis, but I really have no idea what the setting was like. How was it different from kind of a generic D&D setting?

A new setting is probably a good idea - or else, when dealing with old settings, they should bite the bullet and not try to shoehorn in new classes, races, and so on.

You can probably fit a few dark-cultist warlocks into Greyhawk with no problems. You can't fit dragonborn into Greyhawk, full stop.

Ugh, yes, a thousand times this. I feel like they really ruined Dragonlance as a distinct setting trying to shoehorn in changes that came in the post-2e world and repeatedly destroying or moving the world around, killing off gods, etc. I was still pretty new to the game when the Avatar crisis occurred in Forgotten Realms, but I've heard from a few older players who felt the same way about it. (still thought Bane genociding all assassins worldwide in a fit of pique was a pretty amusing way to reflect a class going away between 1st and 2nd ed). Ravenloft actually had at least one similar sort of 'lets shake up the world' moment involving killing a Darklord who was trying to escape.

I dearly hope that if they publish some of the old settings they reboot them to their 'classic' state and more or less let them be- keep them as a sandbox for DM's and players, not a source of plot developments for novelists. I know that is unlikely, but it still feels like a better choice from a quality of life perspective for players. At the very least, publish different 'era' books for the main settings, like Sovereign did with Dragonlance, and let groups chose if they want to play in an earlier or older version of the setting.

JeffB

Legend
Mystara & Hollow World. If they had Keep on the Borderlands, why not have Karameikos (where it actually took place)

The Keep predates the TSR in house "known world" campaign used as the playtest setting for the moldvay/cook/marsh sets. Only later it was placed there during the expansion of the Known World through the Mentzer edited sets and eventually turned into Mystara.

As for the topic at hand...I am pretty jaded and disappointed with what TSR and Wizards has done to my fave settings over the decades and I moved on. I no longer enjoy reading about them because they are so different from what they initially were thanks to rules changes.

I would not mind seeing Mearls' pre wars GH campaign, a revisit of pre wars GH otherwise, or the Known World before it got bloated and boring under the Mystara moniker.

Id actually prefer they stick with a generic setting like the Nentir Vale if they are going to get fluffy in the rulebooks.

Grimmjow

First Post
you guys are going to have to give me a break i dont know any of those campaign settings. lol what are they like?

So if the core rules support forgotten realms, does that mean kelemvor willl be the death god instead of the raven queen. No more kord or pelor?

Transformer

Explorer
I wasn't around for the heyday of any setting but Eberron. I don't mean to insult others' personal preferences when it comes to setting, and I admit that I don't actually know a whole lot about Greyhawk or Dragonlance or what made them great during the TSR era. My understanding is that Dragonlance was popular largely because it had some really good fiction attached to it. I know this area is overwhelmingly subjective.

But I genuinely can't even describe how tedious I find Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and even Dragonlance. They are in my mind, a vacuous black hole of anything interesting or flavorful, an irredeemable morass of the most generic and boring fantasy tropes imaginable. Never even really having experienced it outside of Baldur's Gate, I was tired of the Realms long before the Spellplague. I find it less and less interesting with each new cataclysm. I have difficulty imagining why anyone would willingly read another Drizzt novel. Obviously, though, Wizards has done their market research on this one, and they still expect the Realms to be their best bet for most supported setting in Next. That makes me sad. I can do generic fantasy on my own. It's the crazy and weird fantasy I wouldn't mind reading about.

I'd much rather see a return of the unusual settings, no matter how weird or downright silly they are. I'm interested in Mystara (and its attendant sub-settings). I'm interested in Ravenloft. I would look at a full treatment of Planescape. I would love a new Spelljammer. I was on board for Dark Sun. Al-Qadim, Maztica, and Kara-Tur all interest me, though their ties to the Realms is unfortunate. Birthright and Council of Wyrms? Bring it on.

This is one of the things I love about the various settings for Savage Worlds. They're never bog-standard fantasy stuff. They all have an interesting twist. Magical pirate adventures. Dark fantasy with sky captains and airships and a bit of post-apocalyptic flavor. Fantasy in which eldrich horrors have already won and enslaved the whole world. A world that's a 100% traditional fantasy setting at its core, but it's overlayed with pure undiluted insanity so thick you can only barely see through it.

But sadly, Wizards' desire to unite the fanbase has sadly led to the conclusion that the aggressively generic and boring must come first. Ah well.

Last edited:

In 4e we only saw three campaign settings: Forgotten Realms, Eberon, and Darksun. But in the Chromatic Dragons book (pages 88-89) They mention famous dragons from settings called: Dragonlance and Greyhawk.

Four. The Nentir Vale/PoLand was a setting in its own right.

I want a 5e Planescape.

Please? :D

Agreed under one condition. They retcon the Faction War so it never happened.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads