Starfinder "Dead Suns" in Fantasy Grounds: Worth Switching from Roll20?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I'm contemplating switching my Dead Suns game over from Roll20 to Fantasy Grounds. I'm sick and tired of resizing maps, but I do hate to re-purchase books I already own.

So help me out here, Starfinders! Is the Fantasy Grounds experience worth shelling out for, or will it be too much of a pain to teach my group a new software suite after four books worth of "Dead Suns"? And if I do switch over, what learning curve malarkey should I watch out for?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

Retreater

Legend
I'm not trying to be a troll at all, but I'm wondering what problem you're having with maps on Roll20? I've gotten pretty good with them. I can resize maps from a snipped PDF and upload them, with an accurate scaled grid in less than a couple minutes. I've done battle maps, hexes, world maps. I put in dynamic light too. I do it for fun, even for adventures I don't plan to run.
I think learning a completely new VTT (especially one as complex as Fantasy Grounds) far outweighs one thing you dislike about Roll20.
I'd be happy to help with those maps, if you would like some assistance.

Ahzad

Explorer
I did the same thing, but my reasons for leaving roll20 were different. I love FG Starfinders my group is playing through Dead Suns as well and the books look fantastic in FG. FG does have a learning curve, but I didn't think it to difficult, the FG community on discord is super friendly and helpful, and the FG College has some free live classes on their discord channel that you can spend on hour or so on and ask some questions that was the biggest help for me. I was a bit lost when I first got FG, but after 2 classes that steep learning curve everyone talks about became a small bump not any harder that roll20 in my opinion.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I did the same thing, but my reasons for leaving roll20 were different. I love FG Starfinders my group is playing through Dead Suns as well and the books look fantastic in FG. FG does have a learning curve, but I didn't think it to difficult, the FG community on discord is super friendly and helpful, and the FG College has some free live classes on their discord channel that you can spend on hour or so on and ask some questions that was the biggest help for me. I was a bit lost when I first got FG, but after 2 classes that steep learning curve everyone talks about became a small bump not any harder that roll20 in my opinion.
Can you run a Dead Suns book on FG without also buying the module? I mean, is it set up to be read and prepped like a standard module, or is it basically just the assets and text boxes?

Ahzad

Explorer
The module you get for Dead Suns on the FG store is that the entire book, complete with maps, assets and the rest. Just load up the module and run the game. It's fantastic and wonderful.

Remove ads