• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with Greater Invisibility

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Characters that use the same tactics all the time will build up a reputation for it. Any one actually gunning for them who can be expected to do a little research and planning can be expected to have a reasonable counter to it (including many of the ones mentioned in this thread).
So, for sophisticated enemies, feel free to plan on countering the PCs tactics. It's fair if they're reasonably well known around town.

Invisibility on a large battle mat, where 5' accuracy matters, is a nightmare.

I think the easiest way to make Greater Invis. less ridiculous is to limit players to in character information. Someone already suggested removing the invisible offender from the battle mat. Go one step further: Make them tell you in secret where they going/what they are doing. If they inform the other players where they are, equate that to them drawing attention to them selves, and allow the enemy to pinpoint them as well. (unless they use some special means to keep such information secret) When the fighter tramples them during a well-planned charge, or the wizard barbecues them with a fireball, they might start thinking about limiting their use of the spell.

I like that the duration is only 1 round per level but I would like it more if the target briefly "shimmered" when attacking, moving, or spellcasting so there would be a better chance of detection.

One of the big problems (IMO) with D&D now is that what might not be broken when used on occasion can be quite broken when used all the time (i.e., when it is regularly used by PCs). At least with monsters/NPCs the ability/power doesn't come into play except on occasion, but with PCs it comes into play almost all the time.

javcs

First Post
Summon Swarm (of bats, so blindsense); then, once it starts doing it's feeding on somebody (aka screams or grunts of pain are heard), drop area control (so the invisible guy can't get out) and/or area blasting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads