• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with Greater Invisibility

shilsen

Adventurer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
I like that the duration is only 1 round per level but I would like it more if the target briefly "shimmered" when attacking, moving, or spellcasting so there would be a better chance of detection.

Detection is actually a lot easier when the target attacks. If you're attacked in melee by an invisible attacker, you automatically pinpoint its location (until it moves). If it casts a spell with a verbal component, you only need a DC 20 Listen check (increased by distance) to pinpoint its location.

frankthedm

First Post
shilsen said:
Detection is actually a lot easier when the target attacks. If you're attacked in melee by an invisible attacker, you automatically pinpoint its location (until it moves). If it casts a spell with a verbal component, you only need a DC 20 Listen check (increased by distance) to pinpoint its location.
People talking is DC0, and "To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice." People usually don't talk in a Strong voice unless presenting speach so DC-5 sounds better IMHO {thus DC 15 to pinpoint]

frankthedm

First Post
shilsen said:
People talking is DC0, and "To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice." People usually don't talk in a Strong voice unless speaking to a large crowd. so DC-5 sounds better IMHO {thus DC 15 to pinpoint].

shilsen

Adventurer
frankthedm said:
People talking is DC0, and "To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice." People usually don't talk in a Strong voice unless speaking to a large crowd. so DC-5 sounds better IMHO {thus DC 15 to pinpoint].
Keep your voice down. I heard you the first time :)

And that's a reasonable interpretation.

Khelvan

First Post
Wands of see Invisibility + UMD or a friendly caster.
My Party never went without one or two of these, why shouldnt your Monster do the same?
Cheap and good way to keep Invisibility in Line.

Raspen

First Post
i played an epic warloc that could do what you are saying is a problum its funny but what stoped me from useing it was EGO... no one ever seen me do that realy cool thing no one ever knew i was in that realy exciting battle no one ever carred about my guy i was a ghost that helped out. and that upset me enought to pick a diffrent invocation.

SlagMortar

First Post
I think the easiest way to make Greater Invis. less ridiculous is to limit players to in character information. Someone already suggested removing the invisible offender from the battle mat. Go one step further: Make them tell you in secret where they going/what they are doing. If they inform the other players where they are, equate that to them drawing attention to them selves, and allow the enemy to pinpoint them as well. (unless they use some special means to keep such information secret) When the fighter tramples them during a well-planned charge, or the wizard barbecues them with a fireball, they might start thinking about limiting their use of the spell.
That's a good reason for the wizard to constantly cast the 0th level message spell or the psionic power mindlink - the tactical radios of D&D.

23. Have a very high spot check. Invisibility gives a +20 bonus to hide checks. Wizard likely has about +4 for hide. If he moves more than half speed he gets a -5 penalty. For example, Vrocks (CR 9) have a +24 spot.
24. Creatures without scent can train dogs, wolves, or other creatures with scent.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Much will depend on how the DMN runs invisibility (or "greater"). If you don't allow the enemies to know where the Invisible creature is (via reactive -i.e free action - Listen and Spot checks), invisibility is over-powered.

Could you give us an example of its "over use" in your game?

Athla

First Post
Why is invisibility on a battlemap a nightmare? Isn't it really NBD?

Invisibility on a large battle mat, where 5' accuracy matters, is a nightmare.

I think the easiest way to make Greater Invis. less ridiculous is to limit players to in character information. Someone already suggested removing the invisible offender from the battle mat. Go one step further: Make them tell you in secret where they going/what they are doing. If they inform the other players where they are, equate that to them drawing attention to them selves, and allow the enemy to pinpoint them as well. (unless they use some special means to keep such information secret) When the fighter tramples them during a well-planned charge, or the wizard barbecues them with a fireball, they might start thinking about limiting their use of the spell.

How is invisibility on a Battlemat a nightmare if they aren't using Stealth every round?

Per the answer below - doesn't everyone know where on the battlemap the invisible character always is *unless* they use Hide/Stealth to be silent?
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/95147/how-does-invisibility-work-in-combat/95150

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads