• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with my Party

Balgus

First Post
Send waves at them. You said that the mindblast would leav the psion very weak- so he is only able to do it once a day. The barbarian would also be very weak after he gets out of rage.

Have a minotaur chieftan send a couple lackeys (strong enough to merit rage and mindblast) and then he himself comes out after he notices their tactics. Rage go out- he is winded. Mindblast done, he is a pidly psion with a stick. Psychic warrior should have used all her buffs for the first fight. No cleric means no heal.

Rackhir

Explorer
One point about the Mind Blast. The psionic attack modes are considered psi powers as far as things like AoO's and such go, essentially they operate as "spells" for the purpose of using them in close combat. So if the Psion has opponents threatening him, they get AoO's if he tries to use a mindblast, unless he succeeds at a defensive Manifestation check. Also it will stun, friendlies as well as hostile.

Brisk-sg

First Post
Balgus said:
Send waves at them. You said that the mindblast would leav the psion very weak- so he is only able to do it once a day. The barbarian would also be very weak after he gets out of rage.

Have a minotaur chieftan send a couple lackeys (strong enough to merit rage and mindblast) and then he himself comes out after he notices their tactics. Rage go out- he is winded. Mindblast done, he is a pidly psion with a stick. Psychic warrior should have used all her buffs for the first fight. No cleric means no heal.

Try this with illusions instead of real lackeys. A good illusionist should be able to drain a few spells from the spell casters.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Kyramus said:
1 kobold sorcerer level 3 with sleep spell and charm person, maybe even color spray.
5-7 kobold buddies. when players are stunned with color spray, they go nuts on them.

I agree. This is pretty much the last level sleep will affect them. Make the most of it.

esorek

First Post
You might want to look into critters with reach weapons and possibly classes. A 1st level Ogre barbarian is a CR3 critter that using it's intrinsic 10' reach while wielding a huge sword can give the barbarian a really hard time. Couple him with some lower CR critters to swarm the psion and you can have a nice challanging CR 4-6 encounter. Also if you already have minotaurs in the module you can give some of them a level of barbarian which coupled with their own reach will give your party some good challange.

Balgus

First Post
Also, it doesnt seem like your group is heavy on the ranged weapon using side. The only ones I can see that would have it would be the bard, psy warr, ftr, and ranger.

Other than that- the rest are toast.

**Forge of Fury spoiler**

When you first enter the cave, you have to cross a little chasm via a rope bridge. On the other side were orcs that launched arrows at us to keep us at bay- while we were attacked from the back and sides.

You can do something like this. Have them cross a narrow bridge- or even have them separated from the enemy by a large ridge or gorge. Have the enemy pick at them from 100 ft away with longbows (or shortbows at 60 ft) which would put them safely out of the way of teh barb and the psion.

By the time they make it across, they would have been softened up.

And again- no cleric menas no heal. Bard has miniscule- but nowhere near what is deemed effective- especially for a group that size

Azure Trance

First Post
Unfortunatly, they have a wand of healing. I gave in after they wanted to trade two magical items for it ;D And they use it at a voracious rate - last session they used 18 charges out of its original 50!

JDragon

Explorer
More info on Mind Blast....

as stated above it effects all in the area

it cost 9 points per use, which should be alot for a 4th level Psion even with high stats (I know my current psion waited till 7th level to pick it up, and he had a 20 in his prime stat, even at 8th with 45 something points per day that would only be 5 times and no other powers)

unless your using alternate rules the DC is D20+4 (non psionic) and maybe an ability modifier. Getting a dc over 20 should be tuff but not impossible depending on how the player rolls.

Also think about throwing some other psions at them, see how they handle having mind blast thrown back at them.

JDragon

MerakSpielman

First Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but can't you only use a wand if A) you have the spell it contains on your spell list or B) you have Use Magic Item, which has a chance for failure?

If I'm wrong about this, then let them be addicted to their healing wand. It'll run out of charges eventually, and using it in combat makes a character give up an action that could have been spent smiting the enemy.

General strategy - keep them from resting. If they leave to rest, have traps reset and reinforcements arrived. If they stay and rest, they are attacked in waves through the night. Make them try to get through entire dungeons in one go - spell use becomes a real problem for them then.

Kobolds and other intelligent class-capable monsters are considered races in my campaign, and character classes are as common among them as they are in PHB-race society. What's to keep a kobold Sor 3/Rog 1 from doing some nasty damage with invisibility + true strike + sneak attack? Then they get away with Expedious Retreat.

Use their own tactics against them. Attack them with spellcasters. See how the party defeats them. Have your next group of spellcasters try those same tactics against the party.

Give enemy groups a lacky (hasted would be best) with a wand of healing. When the PCs finally get it, it only has 2 charges left.

I'm a big fan of pits with oozes/green slime at the bottom - especially if the pit is deep and the cover shuts itself automatically. Usually the character survives - barely - but much valued equipment is lost.

Use traps with tripwires set just above kobold head height off the ground. The kobolds run away full tilt, the party goes after them, and that's when the flaming oil sqirts out of the walls and the portculli slam shut in front and behind...

Do the kobolds have an alchemist? Those tanglefoot bags are more trouble to PCs than they would seem at first glance...

Have kobold archers ready actions to fire poisoned arrows at people who start casting a spell. Make it STR-draining poison. Or any poison, really. Without a cleric, those ability scores heal slowly.

Be a Rat Bastard DM! Honestly TRY to kill the PCs. They can usually find a way to live, but let them worry about that little detail themselves.

etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads