• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with spellcasters as a martial

Enkhidu

Explorer
I see the desire here - countering casters can and should be a “thing” for spell-less warriors - but disagree with the action economy trade-off. Using attacks rather than the Attack action is simply a non-starter.

I’d suggest the following:

* Warrior grapples caster using normal routine, to initiate contact for future rounds.

* Warrior, on the next round (assuming the grapple is still intact), readies an action to “stop them from casting.”

* Caster casts a spell, and warrior’s readied Action kicks in, causing an automatic concentration check or the spell is stopped before it begins. DC for the check is 8 + strength bonus + proficiency bonus of the warrior.

This is repeatable, uses a palatable action economy, and not a certainty. It’s much less effective than, say, counterspell, but I think hits the sweet spot for both the game side and the story side.

Satyrn

First Post
I see the desire here - countering casters can and should be a “thing” for spell-less warriors - but disagree with the action economy trade-off. Using attacks rather than the Attack action is simply a non-starter.

* Warrior grapples caster using normal routine, to initiate contact for future rounds.

* Warrior, on the next round (assuming the grapple is still intact), readies an action to “stop them from casting.”

* Caster casts a spell, and warrior’s readied Action kicks in, causing an automatic concentration check or the spell is stopped before it begins. DC for the check is 8 + strength bonus + proficiency bonus of the warrior.

This is repeatable, uses a palatable action economy, and not a certainty. It’s much less effective than, say, counterspell, but I think hits the sweet spot for both the game side and the story side.

I find the OP's original idea palatable enough, but this is a cool idea too for the DM who thinks it ought to be a little trickier but not impossible.

Tony Vargas

Legend

Anything that requires two or more dice rolls to go your way to get a favorable result in d20 is probably a sucker bet. Likewise, even trading an action for a /chance/ of foiling another action (let alone two actions), probably not going to come out ahead.
That said, in a situation where the fighter's DPR isn't going to help much (where they're fighting a caster he can't damage effectively for some reason?), his actions are going to have very little value, anyway, so he might as well try.

I'd prefer to go with:

* all casting provokes
* a ranged attacker can Ready to interrupt casting
* if you take damage while casting, make a concentration check or the spell fails & you lose the slot

Nothing radical or complicated or specialized, and it puts casters back in the paradigm of actually having to be a little careful where/when they cast.

If it's still too complicated, "spells cannot be cast while in melee" would be simple enough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads