Death to all Cat People!!

BaldHero

First Post
I have a special place in my heart for anthropomorphic pc races. Cat people actually. A dark and terrible place. I just think they are...stoopid. This is my opinion so please don't blast me for it. In my eyes there is just no defense for cat people, other than some people think they are cool. Whenever i see them in some form of game, or comic, or video game, i just assume they are there because someone thought "Hey, let's put in Cat people! We'll give them neat sounding names so they don't sound like cats, but yeah they will definately be cat people!"

Now, so far most of the cat people i can recall have been noble, honorable, and often times tribal folk. In fact i dont know of any cat people that are ever bad. The problem is, i can't really recall where i ever got this opinion. At any rate, i turn to this community to help me gather more intelligence about the terrible catman craze.
I want to collect a list of the games (rpg, video, any source really) that include cat folk as a playable race, and what they are called, as well as their general place in their respective worlds. I can start by tossing out the ones i know for sure, hopefully you can add more. Consider it a hit list if you like... :]

Nero/Sar
Arcana Unearthed/Litorians
Everquest/Kerra
Shaintar, Immortal Legends/I can't remember...
Wing Commander/Kilrathi

Anyone else?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
See, iw as originally semi-with you on this, as I thought you were talking about the giggly, "sexy-teens with cat ears and tails" that are so prevalent in the anime that I hate.

But Anthropomorphic Animal races like the Kilrathi and the Vargr and the Gorn are all that let me effectively run a Space Opera campaign.

You are on your own.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I agree with Teflon Billy, except that I like the sexy-teens with cat ears and tails, and I think they'd make the real-world a better place. Someday, genetic engineering will let us live the dream, and there'll be no place for the prejudiced catgirl-haters!

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Regular ol' D&D has catfolk, too. They were in the Mini Handbook and Races of the Wild. And no, I don't particularly have any problem with anthropomorphic cat races, as long as they're sane. Short-skirted, pointy-eared catgirls, on the other hand, have no business in D&D or any of its spinoffs. Leave 'em in BESM where they fit the genre, thank you very much.

Edit: Although Alzrius' idea has some merit...

Demiurge out.

Gothmog

First Post
BaldHero said:
I have a special place in my heart for anthropomorphic pc races. Cat people actually. A dark and terrible place. I just think they are...stoopid. This is my opinion so please don't blast me for it. In my eyes there is just no defense for cat people, other than some people think they are cool. Whenever i see them in some form of game, or comic, or video game, i just assume they are there because someone thought "Hey, let's put in Cat people! We'll give them neat sounding names so they don't sound like cats, but yeah they will definately be cat people!"

Now, so far most of the cat people i can recall have been noble, honorable, and often times tribal folk. In fact i dont know of any cat people that are ever bad. The problem is, i can't really recall where i ever got this opinion. At any rate, i turn to this community to help me gather more intelligence about the terrible catman craze.
I want to collect a list of the games (rpg, video, any source really) that include cat folk as a playable race, and what they are called, as well as their general place in their respective worlds. I can start by tossing out the ones i know for sure, hopefully you can add more. Consider it a hit list if you like... :]

Nero/Sar
Arcana Unearthed/Litorians
Everquest/Kerra
Shaintar, Immortal Legends/I can't remember...
Wing Commander/Kilrathi

Anyone else?

I'm with ya on the cat-folk hatin'. While the Kilrathi were kinda cool and cat-people can work for something like Gamma World or some space opera, cat people in D&D or fantasy are just plain lame. Why? I'm not sure. Other animal-people are cool- gnolls, lizardfolk, yuan-ti, etc- pretty freaking cool. Even the yak-people were interesting. But cat people always come off as being stupid, in that creepy "furry" kindof way. Not to mention the people who always insist on play cat-folk are pretty weird themselves IME. Either crazy cat ladies (think the character on the Simpsons), or a clone of cat piss man http://www.savantmag.com/16/retail16.html . Yeesh- they are worse than the most gothy, angsty of the Vampire players.

jester47

First Post
CAT people suck. If they are in a game they should be halfling sized. Tiger people and lion people - thats just cool.

JustKim

First Post
Cat races are the racial equivalent of the kewl ninja, a dumping ground for what I guess you'd call cat fanboyism. Cats are graceful so let's give them +2 Dex. They're pretty so let's give them +2 Cha. Sometimes they stare at the wall after licking their butts so they must have some really deep sixth sense, +2 Wis. Also they should always land on their feet, slow fall 10'. And a bite attack, and a claw attack, and hey, how about some natural armor? Cats are mildly active in the 6 hours a day they aren't sleeping so let's give them +2 to all physical skills.. etc., etc.

Then of course comes the cat race society, which is of course proud, enlightened and utopian because cats are not territorial wrecks who pee on your couch if they so much as suspect another cat is nearby. Their only weakness is a compulsion to bat around balls filled with rare, sacred herbs.

Having seen this exact same approach no less than a hundred times, any cat race that I don't have at least ten years of nostalgia with is impossible to take seriously. And if I ever hear your rakshasa say "nyu", I'm keying your car.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
JustKim said:
Having seen this exact same approach no less than a hundred times, any cat race that I don't have at least ten years of nostalgia with is impossible to take seriously. And if I ever hear your rakshasa say "nyu", I'm keying your car.
What if he says it mockingly after you foolishly called him "catboy" and right before he tore your body asunder with deadly magic?

Demiurge out.

Oddly, I'm right there with you.

I don't hate anthropomorphic races in general. I'm a huge fan, for instance, of gnolls and their variants. And I like cats IRL; I have two, and I wish I had room/money for more.

But for some reason, I have an instinctive loathing for cat-people in fantasy. Doesn't matter their form, their background, or anything. I hate 'em.

They don't ruin a setting for me if they're well done, but even then I could do without.

Frostmarrow

First Post
JustKim said:
Cat races are the racial equivalent of the kewl ninja, a dumping ground for what I guess you'd call cat fanboyism. Cats are graceful so let's give them +2 Dex. They're pretty so let's give them +2 Cha. Sometimes they stare at the wall after licking their butts so they must have some really deep sixth sense, +2 Wis. Also they should always land on their feet, slow fall 10'. And a bite attack, and a claw attack, and hey, how about some natural armor? Cats are mildly active in the 6 hours a day they aren't sleeping so let's give them +2 to all physical skills.. etc., etc.

You forgot to mention cats have nine lives.

:horror:

JustKim

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
What if he says it mockingly after you foolishly called him "catboy" and right before he tore your body asunder with deadly magic?

Demiurge out.
What I was saying in not so many words is that even the "good" cat races like rakshasa can be ruined by someone who plays them as they would a "bad" cat race. A rakshasa who purrs when it's happy and pounces on bits of string is a terrible waste, and for that I would key your car. Fair warning.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I like Litorians.
:heh:

Hm, but then I *heart* Arcana Evolved - or whatever the latest netspeak is for loving it - so yeh. Natch.

I've known (and known of) people who've hated catfolk, fey, elves, gnomes, halflings, dwarves, humans (er, in fantasy that is, though I do wonder. . .), half-elves, gnolls, centaurs, orcs, half-orcs, 'giant'-types (e.g., as found in AE or Dark Sun), anything with wings, planetouched races. . . I lose track, actually.

It baffles me, quite honestly. To each their own though, and all that.

Sejs

First Post
Meh, I don't mind anthropomorphic races as long as I can find a reasonable place for them to exist in the game world, rather than just having to wedge them in simply because.

Example: My current campaign is set in a modified version of the Forgotten Realms. One of my players wanted to make a Catfolk (from RotW / MiniHB) Ranger. I said sure - you know the Shaar? Big, huge open grassland area in the south? You know the Wemics that live there? Tribal, semi-nomadic tauric lion guys? Those ones? Yeah, replace them with Catfolk. Bam, there you go. As an added bonus, one of the primary type of Local Marauding Humanoids out on the Shaar are Gnolls. Sometimes this stuff just writes itself.

I can certainly agree with the general annoying state of "OMG squeeee!" fanism. It's annoying no matter what it applies to. Cat people. Elves. Ninjas. Whatever. That grows old quick. But that's more a function of the fan than of the material.

On a seperate note - along the lines mentioned by Just Kim. Rakshasa are not cute fuzzy cat people. Ever. Rakshasa are evil, lie-weaving, misery-spreading, flesh-consuming goddamn demon shapeshifters. They don't play with friggin' balls of twine, they eat your children while making you watch. No, wait, scratch that. They steal your face, kill your children, then dominate you and make you eat them.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post

BaldHero

First Post
wow, that picture is disturbing...but oddly satisfying in a death to cat people kind of way.
And its good to see that someone else was able to say what i was thinking. JustKim nailed it for me. The races ive seen are all so uncat like.
Other anthros i can sort of tolerate, maybe even learn to appreciate, but the cat people...
I also like AU. A good setting that doesnt suffer from the inclusion of cat people.
As for the cat people that show up in anime...they are not cool either. What is that about? Who thinks thats interesting?

Psion

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
I don't hate anthropomorphic races in general. I'm a huge fan, for instance, of gnolls and their variants. And I like cats IRL; I have two, and I wish I had room/money for more.

I'm just the opposite. I find cats to be annoying little self-proclaimed nobles IRL, but I think cat people in fantasy are cool.

I guess I just don't watch enough anime to identify cat-people with stupid hypersexed catgirl archtypes. And I think people who insist on doing so really need to just relax.

By the by, Litorians are okay, but I am not much of an AE-head (though I am tiring of typical D&D archetypes, so it is seeming more and more appealing to me these days). I really like the Artathi in FFG's Mythic Races. A book with weaknesses, yes (don't get me started on the lameness that are the rules for the faeries), but some things from the book I really dug.

Psion

Adventurer
JustKim said:
Cats are graceful so let's give them +2 Dex. They're pretty so let's give them +2 Cha.

Someone used to have a quote in their sig that said that if cats had looks to reflect their personalities, they would look like toads. Since Cha is not supposed to directly reflect appearance, I think that suggests a Cha penalty...

Klaus

First Post
I have my own version of 'cat-people', the Kathos, which I posted on these very boards not long ago. I wrote it up because I always hated all the approaches to making cat-people that have all the quirks of a housecat (catnip attraction or whatever). Humans don't have monkey quirks, do they? I also hate the approach of 'let's have cat-people, and have subraces for lions, tigers, leopards, ocelots, lynxes, anything from the Felidae family...'. And I went through lots of pains to make the race balanced out, so it's no more powerful than, say, a halfling or human.

BTW, I used to have dogs when I lived in a house, but now I have a cat (7 years now), since I live in an apartment.

There are also cat-people in Oathbound (Tiny or Small, look like upright cats) and in the brazilian Oriental-style setting Mítica (Small).

Dark Dragon

First Post
Cat Folk in games...well, in Master of Orion you may encounter or play the Mrrshan (a cat folk race with a "slight" touch on warfare).

There was also a novel describing the Kzin, who are space traveling cat folk (heck, what was the name of that novel ??).

I don't have problems with cat folk as (playable) races. I used them as an NPC race in my last campaign. They were space traveling traders, strongly lawful aligned with a tendency towards intrigues, confident in their abilities and knowledge, intelligent and swift, but frail (comparable to sun elves in their abilities). Earning a cat folk's friendship IMC was not easy because of the very formal behaviour of this cat folk race.

Advertisement2

Advertisement4