D&D 5E Deck of Many Things Preview

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
About the preview itself:

Before you draw a card, you must declare how many cards you intend to draw and then draw them randomly...Any cards drawn in excess of this number have no effect.
What is the point of this restriction? Why wouldn't you just say "I am going to draw one card," draw it, and then say "I am going to draw one more card"?

Unless it means that you only get the declared number of draws ever, but that would seem to defeat the whole purpose.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Hijack...

I do not know about 4e, but the 3e Deck was crap. While the Deck made a certain kind of sense in 1e/2e, because it gave you rewards that were usable and exotic in return for meaningful risks. In 3e, the internal logic of the thing was translated poorly. For example, if I draw a Sun ("Gain beneficial medium wondrous item and 50,000 XP."), do I get to play my PC now that he is 3-5 levels higher than anyone else in the party? Or is it a Curse On The Player because I am forced to retire from adventuring with the group?

(Personally, I dislike the Deck in all editions. But I can appreciate that some people feel otherwise.)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Unless it means that you only get the declared number of draws ever, but that would seem to defeat the whole purpose.

No, the point is exactly that you are potentially screwed forever. If you could keep drawing on your whim, you have a lot of chances to fix the damage done before, until Donjon finally hits you.

You must announce how many cards you want to draw, or you cannot gain any benefit whatsoever. The precise details of how this is enforced are up to the DM, but as a bizarre item of semi-divine nature the DM has a lot of leeway.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
About the preview itself:

What is the point of this restriction? Why wouldn't you just say "I am going to draw one card," draw it, and then say "I am going to draw one more card"?

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but don't you get one shot at the deck? You can choose to draw 1, you can choose to draw 10, but once you're done, you're done?

Remove ads