D&D 5E Deck of Many Things Preview

LostSoul

Adventurer
Actually, it did. While we didn't get the whole enchilada, we now know that they aren't afraid to put a totally game-breaking item into the DMG. I loved the 1E DoMT, and I'm happy to see it's not gimped like other versions have been.

I know that a lot of people say that the Deck is a game-breaking item, and I accept that. However, I don't think it has to be. I think it depends on the type of game you run.

I was running the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. One of the PCs drew the Void card. I determined that her soul was taken to the Cauldron of Night (a Greyhawk artifact/location). Boom, soul sucked away. I forget exactly what it says about the Void card, but that was what led me to tie it to the Cauldron.

Then another PC went on an adventure to free her from the Cauldron. It was pretty cool; not great - it's hard to make high-level 3E dungeons, but it did give me some experience in dealing with them.

If I had a "plot" in which that PC's role mattered, then it would be trouble. Or if that player didn't have Henchmen to play while the main PC was stuck in the Cauldron. Or if... a bunch of stuff that is opposed to "what happens, happens, let's see how you deal with it."

One point of interest though: the player knew the dangers of drawing cards. I wouldn't spring the Deck on someone who didn't know what might happen - even if they didn't know the specifics, they should know that something horrible could occur. (I guess that's just good trick design.)

Mercule

Adventurer
I know that a lot of people say that the Deck is a game-breaking item, and I accept that. However, I don't think it has to be. I think it depends on the type of game you run.

I was running the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. One of the PCs drew the Void card. I determined that her soul was taken to the Cauldron of Night (a Greyhawk artifact/location). Boom, soul sucked away. I forget exactly what it says about the Void card, but that was what led me to tie it to the Cauldron.
This is exactly the sort of game-breaking result I mean. That character didn't get to complete RtToEE. If she did, it meant interrupting the adventure to go look for her soul.

Game-breaking isn't always about power level (though that's often a factor). Instant, random death/soul-stealing qualifies in spades. IMO, even more than a simple "gain a level" or "have a +5 sword". I just happen to be willing to roll with the punches.

You have a very good point about the player being aware of the risks, though. The 1E DoMT required the drawer to declare how many draws he would take before drawing. There really isn't a good way to do that without hitting them with a stick that reads "this is a big deal". Sure, you can add some sort of crossroads demon that tells them, but the end effect is pretty similar, unless the players/PCs are totally oblivious.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Petty meh on the depth of the preview. Not really impressed they only showed past of an item. Typical marginal PR effort by WOTC.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Nothing new to see here. Move along. I like the fundraiser, but I think they could have picked some meatier things to preview. I want to see new stuff. Still...I love the DoMT, one of my favorites.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
So is the preview backlash because this was established as a "reward" for certain tiers of donations?

Because this seems (to me) to be exactly like the MM and PH(B) previews—just enough to whet the appetite, but not enough to feel sated.

I'm curious, not attacking.

Thaumaturge.

LostSoul

Adventurer
This is exactly the sort of game-breaking result I mean. That character didn't get to complete RtToEE. If she did, it meant interrupting the adventure to go look for her soul.

In this instance the PC did get to complete the adventure, but that was because of some modifications I made to the RttToEE. (I had a timeline set up.)

I think what's important is that it wasn't an interruption to go look for her soul - it was a player choice. The adventure was where the players decided to go. That sort of thing is what the game was about: do you want to try to save your friend's soul even though you know that time is running down on you?

(I think they made it with a few days to spare.)

However, I realize that such a disruption isn't going to work for all games. It worked for ours, that's all.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
WotC could have done much more with this preview, given that they're raising money for the Children's Miracle Network.

For the $25,000 fundraiser goal, we get an artifact recycled from previous editions (and not even the whole artifact description) and some recycled artwork from another product? That's it? Really? And the content is going to published soon anyway.

Well, if you're looking at charity as a way to buy stuff, then yes, there's an issue.

If you're looking at charity as a way to get needed resources to people in need, then what WotC gives us for it is merely a small inducement and thanks. Maybe just enough to kick a few people over the edge into action. And that's okay.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It makes you wonder why they bother previewing anything based on how ungrateful people are when they do.

I don't think we should be expected to be grateful to a company for previewing its products to us, whether that be a trailer for a movie, a billboard showing off a new phone, or an excerpt from a book. Sure, we have an appetite for news about things we like, and we like to see previews, but that doesn't translate into any requirement for gratitude. Previews are ads, after all - they just happen to be ads we're receptive to, and there is nothing wrong with critiquing a potential purchase based on what we know of it. That's just good sense.

WotC doesn't preview stuff in order to gain gratitude. It previews stuff in order to increase overall awarenesss, excitement, and - ultimately - sales.

Mercule

Adventurer
In this instance the PC did get to complete the adventure, but that was because of some modifications I made to the RttToEE. (I had a timeline set up.)

I think what's important is that it wasn't an interruption to go look for her soul - it was a player choice. The adventure was where the players decided to go. That sort of thing is what the game was about: do you want to try to save your friend's soul even though you know that time is running down on you?

(I think they made it with a few days to spare.)

However, I realize that such a disruption isn't going to work for all games. It worked for ours, that's all.
Got it. In that case, I agree. A good DM can turn disaster into a fun evening romp. ;)

Remove ads