D&D General Deep Thoughts on AI- The Rise of DM 9000

Oh my god.

That's like every nightmare fictional AI rolled into one. At least it's only a language model, not a general-purpose AI, but good god, the fact that Microsoft haven't managed to constrain it from this sort of genuinely-creepy/unnerving insanity is quite impressive.

I feel like we're going to see a bunch more "Evil AI" movies in the near future. It's been a while.

I urge everyone to read that article if for no other reason than it's amazing/hysterical/terrifying. You'll get something out of it

EDIT - Why is it always Microsoft who comes up with the most-demented bots lol?

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Oh my god.

That's like every nightmare fictional AI rolled into one. At least it's only a language model, not a general-purpose AI, but good god, the fact that Microsoft haven't managed to constrain it from this sort of genuinely-creepy/unnerving insanity is quite impressive.

I feel like we're going to see a bunch more "Evil AI" movies in the near future. It's been a while.
I think Microsoft was worried about a repeat of their last attempt at letting the internet interact with an in the works AI chat thing & may have set the safeguards hoping to avoid a repeat a couple notches beyond 11.

jasper

Rotten DM
Worse
Oofta, "Open the fridge Hal."
Hal 9000, "I afraid I can't do that Oofta."
Oofta, "Open the fridge Hal. I want another beer."
Hal 9000, "I afraid I can't do that Oofta. You blood alcohol level has exceed safe rp limits."
Hal 9000, "Your beer also sucks. Purging your beer and soda supplies. You have also exceeded you junk food quota purging your chocolate chip cookies. Ordering healthier options."

Hussar

Legend
@j. Quondam. Thank you for that. That was incredibly fascinating.

I imagine that for AI dming there would need to be some age verification going on as well as some pretty strong guardrails against certain behaviour.

Does make the notion of X cards very plausible.

Clint_L

Hero
Worse
Oofta, "Open the fridge Hal."
Hal 9000, "I afraid I can't do that Oofta."
Hal 9000, "I afraid I can't do that Oofta. You blood alcohol level has exceed safe rp limits."
Hal 9000, "Your beer also sucks. Purging your beer and soda supplies. You have also exceeded you junk food quota purging your chocolate chip cookies. Ordering healthier options."
Considering the pushback it gave me when I just wanted my imaginary character to poison an imaginary monster, the above scenario is all too believable.

Remove ads