• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deep Water and Shoals characters

Xael

First Post
dead_radish:

This might be a bad time, but I don't think that small characters can take Weapon Finesse (Short Sword).

dead_radish

Explorer
From the SRD:

Weapon Finesse [General]

Prerequisite: Proficient with weapon, base attack bonus +1 or higher.

Choose one light weapon. Alternatively, the character can choose a rapier, provided the character can use it in one hand, or a spiked chain, provided the character is at least Medium-size.

The only weapons with size restrictions are the rapier and the spiked chain.

I almost wish I'd chosen a Halfling Rapier instead, anyway - 1d4 weapon that has an 18-20 crit range. But it's a feat to use it (exotic), so....

Xael

First Post
Sorry...

PHB page 97:
Light:If the weapon's size category is smaller than yours (such as a human using a small weapon), then the weapon is light for you.

dead_radish

Explorer
Bah! Remind me to kill you first! ;)

Okay. I edited Malthas somewhat, then, to account for that. I removed a lot of his miscellaneous magical items to modify the sword, which is now a small rapier (using the scaling a weapon rules).

dead_radish

Explorer
No worries. I just don't usually play small characters, so I blocked that bit out completely. I guess that's why there was both a small rapier and a halfling rapier listed in various d20 products. Otherwise your only choices for finesse is a dagger, which is just boring.

Bob: Is a small rapier acceptable? Basically I just took the DMG suggested rules for scaling weapons and reduced the damage from d6 to d4, keeping the rest of the stats the same.

Remove ads