• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defeating an anti-magic or dead-magic area?

MurlyndX

Explorer
So, could players contrive an area enclosed within Walls of Force or Forcecage and then move that area into an anti-magic area as a "magic-area?"

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If you could make a horizontal wall of force? Sure. But the spell descriptions explicitily states a "vertical wall of force"

Forcecage only has a 10' diameter so only 1-2 characters could fit in there.

Oh, and I don't think the force effects are moblie in any way... so that's another obstacle...

Not sure how much usefulness you would get out of this though... you would have no line of effect and so couldn't cast spells on anyone outside of your "magic-area" anyway.

MurlyndX

Explorer
They're actually looking at making a Wondrous Item that facilitates using magic inside a dead-magic area. A place where they can cast spells (i.e. healing), create constructs, etc.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Hmm, in that case I would say it's completely up to the DM (which I'm assuming is you) whether a Forcecage type effect would block the "anti-magic/dead magic" areas and allow spellcasting...

There is already a magic item that puts up forcecage effects: Cube of Force

I would think it needs to be more on the epic and/or artifact level though to overcome anti-magic/dead magic since not even Mages Disjunction has the ability to 100% overcome an anti-magic spell and MD is 9th level...

MurlyndX

Explorer
Hmm, in that case I would say it's completely up to the DM (which I'm assuming is you) whether a Forcecage type effect would block the "anti-magic/dead magic" areas and allow spellcasting...

There is already a magic item that puts up forcecage effects: Cube of Force

I would think it needs to be more on the epic and/or artifact level though to overcome anti-magic/dead magic since not even Mages Disjunction has the ability to 100% overcome an anti-magic spell and MD is 9th level...

They had wanted to simply cast Wall of Force or Forcecage inside a wagon so they would have a rolling magic shop. But ... I definitely like the epic or artifact level slant. I could create an artifact of some sort akin to the Cube of Force that they'll have to procur to do what they want to do. THANKS!

NewJeffCT

First Post
If you could make a horizontal wall of force? Sure. But the spell descriptions explicitily states a "vertical wall of force"

Forcecage only has a 10' diameter so only 1-2 characters could fit in there.

Oh, and I don't think the force effects are moblie in any way... so that's another obstacle...

Not sure how much usefulness you would get out of this though... you would have no line of effect and so couldn't cast spells on anyone outside of your "magic-area" anyway.

Forcecage can be a 20 foot cube with bars or a 10 foot windowless cell... I can see it now if they go with the windowless cell - somebody frightens the horse pulling the wagon and drives it over a cliff. :p

Shin Okada

Explorer
Wall of Force is not affected by Antimagic. But it is unclear if Antimagic is "blocked" by Wall of Force or not. It is possible that while Wall of Force itself is not affected by Antimagic, magics inside it are still suppressed. As this is unclear, it is up to each DM.

But even if Wall of Force blocks Antimagic, there is one problem. How will you go inside the area encased by the Wall of Force? You cannot teleport into it as your magical abilities are suppressed. Also, you can't get out of that "force walled lab" as you cannot teleport out to dead magic area.

MurlyndX

Explorer
But even if Wall of Force blocks Antimagic, there is one problem. How will you go inside the area encased by the Wall of Force? You cannot teleport into it as your magical abilities are suppressed. Also, you can't get out of that "force walled lab" as you cannot teleport out to dead magic area.

Don't quite know, yet. One reason I'm bending towards using a variant of a Cube of Force that "Keeps Magic In" as opposed to out.

Physiker

First Post
You could use a gate spell to get in or out of your sphere.
Planar Travel: As a mode of planar travel, a gate spell functions much like a plane shift spell, except that the gate opens precisely at the point you desire (a creation effect). Deities and other beings who rule a planar realm can prevent a gate from opening in their presence or personal demesnes if they so desire. Travelers need not join hands with you—anyone who chooses to step through the portal is transported. A gate cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel.

Runestar

First Post
In the very least, antimagic field (aka the spell) is an emanation, so you can block it out by getting full cover, such as by holding a tower shield.

You will need to clarify with your DM whether it is a spread (which would go around corners) or emanation.

Remove ads