• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defeating an anti-magic or dead-magic area?

MurlyndX

Explorer
So....what I'm thinking is an Artifact/Major Wondrous Item that is a variant Cube of Force.

Let's call it a Cube of Magic.

Unlike a Cube of Force the only "choice" is a Wall that keeps magic in. And, unlike a Cube of Force the effect is permanent. NO "on/off" switch. Once turned "off", the Cube of Magic would not be able to be turned back "on" in an anti-magic or dead-magic zone.

This area could be used for a lot of purposes. Healing, scrying, teleporting to a magic area, gating, as mentioned. Obviously, most spells would end as soon as an enchanted item or person left the area and entered the anti-magic or dead-magic zone.

It could also be used to perform construct rituals.

MurlyndX

Explorer
So....what I'm thinking is an Artifact/Major Wondrous Item that is a variant Cube of Force.

Unlike a Cube of Force the only "choice" is a Wall that keeps magic in. And, unlike a Cube of Force the effect is permanent. NO "on/off" switch. Once turned "off", the Cube of Magic would not be able to be turned back "on" in an anti-magic or dead-magic zone.

This area could be used for a lot of purposes. Healing, scrying, teleporting to a magic area, gating, as mentioned. Obviously, most spells would end as soon as an enchanted item or person left the area and entered the anti-magic or dead-magic zone.

MurlyndX

Explorer

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Triple post, nice!

I think an item like that would work fine, plus the "would not be able to be turned back "on" within the dead magic area" part of the item could provide the PC's with a logistical nightmare...

How to keep the cube from discovery?
How to prevent enemies from stealing it?
How to prevent enemies from just taking it and turning it off?

etc... :)

MurlyndX

Explorer
I think an item like that would work fine, plus the "would not be able to be turned back "on" within the dead magic area" part of the item could provide the PC's with a logistical nightmare...

How to keep the cube from discovery?
How to prevent enemies from stealing it?
How to prevent enemies from just taking it and turning it off?

Hmmmm....yeah ... so maybe leave that on/off switch on there .... yeah...I like that... :devil:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads