• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Bandeeto said:

As P'Cat points out, many of the details of these old adventures have been lost to time and faulty memories.

I never took detailed notes before, but I have begun a campaign journal for this reason. Seeing how fun it is to read about your adventures, I hope that reading my own will be as fun years from now when I have completely forgotten them.

And Alix... well... I hope you're beginning to get a sense about Alix.

Oh yes ...

You have a good point regarding some loss of detail using this style. I will try to post separate plot summaries to fill in.

That would be great. Thanks!!

Irda Ranger

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
So Alix decided to try to rule the world or something, right? Was that a decision you made or was it after you left the group or something?

Caliber

Explorer
Bandeeto played Arcade while Sialia played Cadrienne and later Dylrath when Miss Evil body-snatched Cadrienne.

As far as I know, and feel free to correct me, Alix was played by an unknown who has no board persona. In later adventures, I gather, this person fell in to disfavor with the group (the player, not the character) and eventually left entirely.

Just what I seem to remember from various posts.

Bandeeto

First Post
You are correct Caliber. I do not know if Alix's player ever frequents the boards. If he does, the Defenders' players (past and present) are unaware of it.

I do not think that he would disagree with my characterization of Alix, however.

Per my promise, here is the annotated Part 1, with details derived from memory and P'cat's campaign notes.

Last edited:

Bandeeto

First Post
Academy of Flamecraft: Annotations to Part 1

It was a deeply ambivalent set of Defenders that stepped onto the platform, lit the braziers, and teleported into the Academy of Flamecraft. They had just slain their first red dragon, Infernus, spawn of Tagachark. In so doing they had acquired a host of useful items: a Girdle of Giant Strength for Tao, a Blast Scepter for Tomtom, Boots of Striding and Springing for Alix, a Rod of Summoning for Arcade, a mysterious Iron Bottle with an unknown occupant, and three Ioun stones.

Now joining them was the cheerful Brother Caldicott of Celian, rescued from Chemia’s Mirror. He was small, round and pudgy, with a pink complexion and a shaven head. He was very excitable, and had laid into his high priest over something minor; for his transgression, he was sent on a solo quest to recover the Horrus Arkadanian. Instead, he had spent nearly 50 years in suspended animation. Arcade welcomed his company on the search for the legendary tome.

However, also coming along, largely against the party’s wishes, was Kestellan Soulcage, a weaselly apprentice fire mage. He had fled the Academy at the coming of the dragons, and been caught by the Mirror when he snuck back for his spellbooks. His demeanor made it clear that he was not to be trusted. It was also obvious that he did not intend to be of much assistance.

Cadrienne, cleric of Morphat, was morose and deeply depressed after losing her holy books to dragonfire. Worst of all, one of their stoutest allies, Grundo the dwarven battlerager, was gone forever, crushed to paste by the dragon.

As the flames cleared, the Defenders found themselves on a narrow platform, suspended over a chasm. They were surrounded by a huge, ring-shaped, stone gallery, carved into the shaft. They were also surrounded by a large number of derro, standing on the gallery. The derro opened fire from all sides. A few Prismatic Walls were thrown up to stop the flanking missile attacks. Tao leapt to the gallery and was mobbed. Though she fought her way clear, her long braid (a source of much pride), was callously hacked off and flung into the abyss. The derro shaman riddled the party with Lightning. After some tense moments, the tide turned the Defenders’ way, and the derro were eliminated. The shaman’s body yielded a wonderful find, a Rod of Cancellation.

Ramps led up and down to other ring-shaped galleries. Sadly, the exits from most of them were choked with rubble. The ramps themselves were in poor repair, leading to some near-falls. Cadrienne seemed distracted, and complained of hearing voices. She seemed certain that a lost library of marvelous books was calling to her. At the bottom of the ramps the Defenders discovered a long, narrow shaft with multi-colored light radiating up from below. Looking down blinded several people for nearly an hour each, as a Prismatic Sphere was plainly visible in the chamber at the bottom of the shaft.

After making their way up the ramps, the party found what appeared to be the only open passage off the ring. It led to a long hallway with side rooms. There they encountered a hungry rust monster, and several important items were nearly destroyed. The party rested. Cadrienne surprised Arcade by being very interested when he settled down to study, and asking if she could read over his shoulder. He knew that she could not read the magic script, but she insisted that looking at the symbols and the turning pages soothed her. Arcade also permitted Kestellan to study from the spellbooks, though not without grave misgivings.

On a large wall the Defenders discovered a tapestry that resembled a gaping, toothy maw. In front of it lay the hollow carapace and claws of a monster. Later, Arcade would identify the parts as those of an Umber Hulk, and use the shape when Polymorphed. Touching the tapestry nearly earned several party members nasty bites, but finally they managed to remove it from the wall.

Behind it, the Defenders discovered the doorway to a sealed room. Tomtom used his faerie ability, and created a working key. Within they found a lost reading room. The skeleton of a long-dead mage lay in the corner. The entire chamber was covered with formulas and magical writing. It appeared that the mage had been trying to escape by creating a free-standing gate using only his inscriptions. He had nearly succeeded before expiring. Many fascinating books were found scattered about, and Cadrienne cheered up immensely (see list below, attached).

Coming out of the chamber, the party was again ambushed by derro. The battle was over quickly, but a strange event occurred. When Kestellan launched a spell into the foe, nine Magic Missiles appeared. No one could explain how this could have happened, and it went un-noticed that Cadrienne had been standing close behind Kestellan as the combat raged. The effect was eventually chalked up to a mysterious magical Wild Surge induced by the Academy’s decaying protective charms.

While camping that evening, the party decided to open the Iron Bottle. With a fiery roar, an enraged efreet named Kadraskus emerged. He was not in a wish-granting mood, but did agree not to kill the Defenders on the spot, by way of thanks. Alix indicated that he wished to speak to the genie privately. Kadraskus agreed, and Alix then refused to tell the party what they had discussed. The efreet drew a flaming gate in mid-air, and departed. That night, Kestellan disappeared and could not be located.

Following a partially burnt map, the Defenders finally found the entrance to a hallway leading to the Room of Ceremony. The way was blocked by a permanent Wall of Force that was not dispellable. It fell before the Rod of Cancellation, and the party moved on.

The corridor, though itself inviolate and safe, appeared to curve through dimensions into the Elemental Plane of Fire. The City of Brass was visible in the distance. After a long walk, the hall ended abruptly in a pick-proof brass door.

Cadrienne produced a key that she said she found in the rubble, and the door opened with a clang. Stepping through the doorway, the Defenders found themselves in a huge stone room. Lining the walls were statues of the Academy Headmasters and Headmistresses, each with a sconce for a torch. Into three of the walls were built archways. Each archway contained an open gate to an elemental plane: Magma, Fire, and Smoke. Apparently the elemental denizens of these planes could not enter the room without the proper ceremonies being performed.

The fourth wall was covered with a large mirror, which the party had entered through. Seemingly without prompting, the mirror began to show scenes in rapid succession, a history of what had occurred in the Academy over the last several centuries, speeding too fast for any details to be picked out. The mirror then refocused, briefly acting as a true mirror once more. It then seemed to flex, and a night-scene appeared: the Flaming Manticore, home base of the Defenders. Light shone from the windows, and lit the snowdrifts piled around the walls. Some experimentation revealed that party members were able to exit and re-enter the Mirror Room without hindrance. The group decided to spend the night at home, and then return to investigate further in the morning.

While everyone was relaxing and having dinner, Cadrienne excused herself, saying she would be back shortly. She did not return for several minutes. Free from the stresses and oppressive atmosphere of the Academy, Arcade finally mentally assembled the pieces of the puzzle and realized that Cadrienne had, in all likelihood, been possessed by the spirit of a former master of Flamecraft. He rushed outside, only to find the sigil of Mirata du Chemith, second founder of the Academy, smoking in the snow. Cadrienne, and the Mirror Room entrance, were gone.

As the party panicked, a note arrived from Mirata, delivered by a Morphatian acolyte. It warned the Defenders not to interfere, and made it clear that she intended to resume her old position of power.

It was seven o’clock in the evening, and the Defenders had a national crisis and a kidnapped comrade on their hands.

Attachments

• academy of flamecraft books.doc
    24 KB · Views: 350

Irda Ranger

First Post
That was great, thank you. I can see that it was the same story, but it was much easier for me to follow and "picture". I hope it wasn't too boring for you to type up :)

Well, however you choose to keep writing, I'll keep reading, that's for sure. I look forward to more!

Did anyone from your group besides Piratecat and KidC go to GenCon? I guess you have to abstain from the Defenders for the week.

Irda Ranger

the Jester

Legend
I agree with Irda Ranger... thank you! The interior monologues are cool for getting a little character and flavor, but knowing what happened fills in a lot of blanks.

I'm really interested in the whole Alix story, by the way... (hint hint)

Sialia

First Post
1. When "Cadrienne" stepped outside, what she said was that there was something interesting about the magical books the party had recovered, and she wanted to inspect them by moonlight. They let her walk out the door with all of the magical books they had brought back from the Academy, including the Horrus Arkadanian that Arcade had dragged them all down there to retrieve in the first place.

2. Alix was arrogant, handsome, rich, selfish, whimsical, petulant, flashy, clever, irritating, irritable, stylish, childish, and had a bad case of "oooh spank me, please." And we loved him, and we hated him, and trying to keep him in line was a big part of what made the Defenders what they were, as was making use of the phenomenally sly strategies and manipulations he often came up with.

I don't think his player would be upset by any of these characterizations. He worked awfully hard to be as wonderfully annoying as he was, and I'm sure was well aware of what he was doing to us. (Arcade always claimed it was the staff of withering that made his hair go gray, but we all know the truth.)

It was no surprise he came to a bad end after all the lawfuls left. Without authority to flout, he was forced to play that character off the laws of the universe itself. If Malachite, or some of the other newer Defenders, had shown up sooner, we might still have our own dear golden haired black sheep boy. (Assuming Malachite and Alix both surived the engagement.) But in the time of predominantly chaotics, there was no anchor for him, no straight man.

If he is lurking out there, I hope he knows we only abuse his memory 'cause they're some of the most scintillating memories we've got. I miss him awfully.

Last edited:

madriel

First Post
Malachite and Alix in the same party? Now there's a thought to wrap your brain around. Or Alix's "ooh, spank me, please" around Mara.

The DoD do seem to be made up of either LG or CG. Is there anybody who's NG or True Neutral? I don't see Piratecat as having evil PCs at his table.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Sialia said:
If he is lurking out there, I hope he knows we only abuse his memory 'cause they're some of the most scintillating memories we've got. I miss him awfully.

I don't know about anybody else, but I hope that if "Alix" (or his player, more accurately, of course) does choose to make himself known to the DoD, that he does so by private email. I love reading about your adventures, but they're "public", ya' know? I think watching a reunion happen on the message boards would be a bit voyeuristic. So, if Alix's player is reading, lets keep these posts to "on topic" stuff, for my comfort if no one elses.

Of course, now that I have said that, and if Alix's Player has been accurately described, he will probably announce himself right now, just to be irratable :rolleyes: But I still had to say it.

Irda Ranger

Remove ads