• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
And exactly how long did it take for "Dylrath, shut up" to become a catch phrase? In a good way, of course :)

I shall now sit quietly and wait for more.
Thanks for the story

Sialia

First Post
Actually, I beleive the common form used was an exasperated sounding "Dilly!" with the imperative for silence or the ", you fool" implied rather than spoken.

Now, there may be some of you who wonder why Alix didn't just kill Dilly, or let him get himself killed right off the bat.

I will tell you.

In addition to saddling him with an unwanted, inept apprentice who could not be left behind, the Guildmaster indicated that there would be a very steep weregilt if Dylrath were killed. Steep even for Alix's legendarily deep pockets. Steep enough that the death of Dylrath would be more of a bother to Alix than taking the trouble to keep him alive.

I couldn't tell ya why somebody else in the party didn't kill Dilly, though.

Last edited:

Bandeeto

First Post
Bearing in mind:

Dylrath was designed by Sialia to be as obnoxious as possible to as many members of the party as possible.

Examples:
1) For Nolin, Dyl has perfect pitch, but can't carry a tune in a bucket.
2) For Velendo, Dyl just looooves to ask unanswerable questions.
3) For Tao, Dylly is an irrepressible prankster.
4) For Arcade, Dyl is always out to do his own thing and make up plans on the go.
5) For Alix, Dyl follows his orders. Exactly as they are given. And he actually had a proficiency in "Pratfall."

There are plenty more. These were some of the ones that emerged. Sialia can give you the rest.

The oddest thing, was that Dyl wound up being far better tolerated than Cadrienne had been because he wasn't a stick-in-the-mud. Everyone thought he was charming, despite his low Charisma.

A paradox indeed, our Dylrath. :D

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
Bandeeto said:
The oddest thing, was that Dyl wound up being far better tolerated than Cadrienne had been because he wasn't a stick-in-the-mud. Everyone thought he was charming, despite his low Charisma.

A paradox indeed, our Dylrath. :D

No doubt it was Sialia's natural charisma shining through the irrepresible youngster in ways that Cadrienne never let show. :cool:

Besides, I bet in "non-game" time you and your fellow players loved telling "Dilly" stories a lot more than "Cadrienne" stories. I know that among my own players its the "village idiot" PC that usually makes the adventures more memorable than the stolid, dependable types.

Bandeeto: Not that I don't like the "artistic bent" of the new format, but would it be possible to provide more detail? The old "Journal Entry" stuff wasn't "snazzy", but it included the details that helped my picture what was going on. I could "see" it. The "Mental Monologue" is a lot harder for me to visualize, and I am not always sure what is going on. I feel like crucuial details are either left out, or not supported in a way that I know what they are supposed to mean.

Maybe its just me. I see a lot of folks like it (and I do too, it definately has its own "feel"). Does anyone else have this problem?

Well, anyway, even if you don't change a thing, please keep writing! I really do love these threads!! Thanks a whole lot guys, all of you.

Irda Ranger

PS - I just PayPal_ed my $25 to Morrus ... any idea how long that takes to kick in? Thanks.

Edited for stupid typos

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I really like this style, too, although it's easier for me to plug in the missing pieces. The truth is that these adventures happened eight years ago, and we're trying to fill holes using fragmentary notes and imperfect memories. Bandeeto and I say on the phone for fifteen minutes the other night trying to remember a crucial plot point! Other than that comment, I'll leave it to Bandeeto to comment on his style.

I'm off to GenCon! Keep this thread warm for me, and see you folks in six days.

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
Piratecat said:
I really like this style, too, although it's easier for me to plug in the missing pieces. <snip>

Ah, the team effort approach [Master Yoda Voice] ... good ... good ... [/Master Yoda Voice]

I'm off to GenCon! Keep this thread warm for me, and see you folks in six days.

Consider it toasty.

Irda Ranger

Bandeeto

First Post
but would it be possible to provide more detail.... the "Mental Monologue" is a lot harder for me to visualize, and I am not always sure what is going on. I feel like crucial details are either left out, or not supported in a way that I know what they are supposed to mean.

As P'Cat points out, many of the details of these old adventures have been lost to time and faulty memories.

One reason I started writing this way was to portray the "feel" of the campaign during this period, from the characters' perspective.

Another was to give a sense of the personalities of the characters through dialogue they might have actually delivered. Piratecat's Storyhour does this well already, but many of the character's in this thread are long since retired, and many have evolved tremendously.

A few examples: Tao didn't used to say much unless we were actively in combat. Velendo spent large portions of time complaining and wishing we were somewhere else. Dylrath started very young (14?) and acted his age. Tomtom was the shadow in the background; when he ever did speak, it was usually very important. Nolin would try to jolly everyone along, unless he got into one of his depressive phases. And Alix... well... I hope you're beginning to get a sense about Alix.

You have a good point regarding some loss of detail using this style. I will try to post separate plot summaries to fill in.

Remove ads