Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

Morrow

First Post
Hey, I remember this adventure. I picked up a stack of old Dungeons a six months ago and came across this one.

"Hmm. Black robed wizard. Grand scheme to put out the sun. Orcs. Tower. Anagrams. What's the point?" Shows what I know. I'll have to give it another look.

I think PC changed the wizard's name though. I seem to remember that his name was an anagram for, "Kill everyone and bring darkness to the world," or something equally ridiculous. Took the poor guy five minutes just to introduce himself.

Anyway, great fun. Its nice to see the Defenders when they were just regular shmoes like the rest of us. And the old Defenders are a hoot, I can see why you speak so fondly about Arcade, Alix, and company.

Morrow

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I made a bunch of changes to the module, Morrow. I tied it in with some other campaign back story, linked the cult in with mind flayers (and eventually a community of doppelgangers), and created close ties between the cult and Imbindarla, Goddess of Undeath and the Black Things that Scurry in the Night. :)

Arcade may not have mentioned it in his journal, but they were led to the tower in search of Baylock Grithamper, TomTom's psionic uncle and master halfling chef. They found him waiting to be sacrificed.

Even better was when the PCs had to return four months later and oust the next cult member who had taken over the tower after the PCs had finished clearing it out. It was a little tougher to break in then, and they were too late to save Maddoc, who the cult did sacrifice. Heh heh.. he didn't like my DMing style, after all. *grin*

Plane Sailing, wait until you meet Arcade's owl familiar! He's a hoot.... well. pun aside, he ranked as the Best Familiar Ever for a long time. AND he didn't have to wear a little vest and hat like that rat did.

Bandeeto

First Post
As P'Cat is hinting, coming up next:

Fun with anagrams!

Braving the DREAD PORTAL!

Rescuing the kidnappees!

and...

Naming the band!

Bandeeto

First Post
Arcade’s Journal – Nostradis Ghend Finale, The Defenders are Born.

...behind the red curtain we found Mikal bound onto a scarred, blood-soaked altar. Runnels led to a prepared spell parchment. Praise the gods, he was unharmed. Sadly we were too late to save Maddoc. We found his mutilated body. Tom-Tom is furious, but we believe from the papers we found that his Uncle Baylock is still alive....

...curious plaque with the word “Illdar” inscribed upon it. Saying the word causes the roof section over the altar to appear and disappear....

...on the way back downstairs we encountered another orc. I struck it with my staff, which then Teleported out of my hand. I found the staff later in a corner of the room. Odd behavior. Plainly it dislikes being used as a weapon. We heard the voices of two concerned half-orcs (including one Captain Yarag) calling from below through the speaking-tube. Nolin mimicked Ghend’s voice, and told them to remain below until morning....

...found a book describing Ghend’s organization, the Brotherhood of Night. The cult intends to bring a time called the “Dread Night” by blacking out the sun. Servants of the group are called “Illdar”. Ghend was a “Darker”, the leader of an Illdar coven. Hints from the book suggested that Illdar take new names when they join the cult. Knowing that Ghend loved anagrams, I puzzled out his new true name, “Dread Night’s Son”....

...freed a human female slave named Ashira who had been sold to Lord Ghend. We will take her and Mikal with us in the morning....

...the dawn revealed that the half-orcs had fled. Speaking Ghend’s true name opened the black portal, and we freed Baylock from an imprisoning suit of welded-shut armor....

...the clerics did their best to cleanse the taint of the tower. We buried the bodies, took an inventory, and prepared to leave. It seemed to me that with this adventure our group had gained real purpose, and I felt that we needed a name. I suggested that “Defenders of Daybreak” would be the most suitable. Much mirth ensued, with Tom-Tom suggesting “Defenders of Coffee Break” and Nolin offering “Defenders of Late Mid-Morning Brunch”, but finally all members acquiesced. Our sigil will suggest the rays of the rising sun....

...in Baylock’s prison we found a riddle above a seemingly impenetrable enchanted door:

“I am that which hides all evil,
With me as cover, vampires play,
I am all the blind envision,
In me will all men find their way.”

Bandeeto

First Post
Darkness, surely. Wow, PKitty really used to feed your desire for riddles and such! <lol>

Good call. But what did it mean?

We tried saying any number of variations on the word before we hit on the answer, coming next post.;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Dread night snos!

Back in 2e, a metal helm stopped psionics. That's why Baylock was imprisoned in that manner.

It's worth noting that TomTom didn't come out of the closet as a psionicist for years. For the longest time, the party only knew him as a thief with some odd talents.

Bandeeto

First Post
Arcade’s Journal – Return to Kindric, New Year’s Celebrations

...after trying various verbal responses to the riddle over the door, we realized that the door was only able to be used in total darkness. We were very concerned about a trap, but after extinguishing our torches we passed through and found ourselves Teleported into the nearby woods a few miles away.

We returned to Siryth to great acclaim, returning the kidnapped citizens and the stolen animals to the town. Met with Mikal and the town council and gave a full report. They informed us that the local lord, Duke Garith Helmsford had given a Royal Charter to Ghend to construct his tower. They plan to send a message to the duke in his winter home in the southlands, asking for instructions. Taking three mules and Ghend’s warhorse and heading back to Kindric....

...stopped in Phorn to visit Glimmer’s temple. During our stay Nolin became very agitated, appalled by the shallowness of all the acolytes. We spent many hours talking, and I got to know him a bit better. His youth was very harsh in Farin. He was regularly beaten and harassed by the local youth because of his half-elven race. One evening those ruffians locked him in an abandoned barn for an entire winter’s night. He spent the whole time huddled in a corner trying to stay warm and fending off swarms of rats (which explains his aversion to those vermin).

It did Nolin good to open up a bit, and he seemed much improved in temper the following day....

...we stopped at the Grinning Griffon Inn. As we entered the taphouse we encountered a rogue who was selling horses. We were suspicious and refused, and rightly so as they turned out not to be his own. Later, we discovered that he had also sold *our* horse! While sorting out the issue with the “buyers” we realized that our nemesis Fillane Deepleaf had struck again, and were very angry not to have recognized him....

...at the Kindric city gates we were observed by a shadowy pair in grey cloaks. They followed us, but we managed to dodge them. Later, while trying to barter in the market we were attacked by eight cloaked figures in armor, but we escaped without incident....

...discovered more information about “Deepleaf”. It turns out he steals identities as well. The real Fillane Deepleaf is a vicious wizard of the 8th circle here in Kindric. The thief apparently had also targeted Deepleaf, selling the mage’s house while he was away.

New Year’s Eve tonight! Tom-Tom attended a private function this evening and found out that Ghend’s Right Hand (Yarag the half-orc) and eight other orcs had bribed their way into the city. Glimmer played cards with a half-orc at the inn who told him not to stick his nose where it wasn’t wanted. Later we went upstairs to watch the pyrotechnics and Glimmer was nearly pushed off the roof. We were unable to find the perpetrator. Rofan went to his temple for the evening, while Glimmer went to his own temple for the annual orgy. The rest of us stayed at the inn...

...New Year’s Day. I awoke to hear Alix yelling for help and sprinted to the door. Opening it put me face-to-face with two armed orcs. As I hit them both with Color Spray, I felt icy steel in my belly and fell to the ground unconscious. Later I learned that my own yell had roused Tom-Tom and Grundo. Neither of them is a morning person, and their rage at being awoken early on New Year’s morning was taken out on the other six orcs. Cadrienne managed to heal me in time. Another near miss. We have been unable to find Yarag, and suspect that he has fled the city....

...sold our goods and purchased horses. The city has been most exciting, but it will be good to leave for Rampart tomorrow....

Sialia

First Post
I know I already told this story in Piratecat's main storyhour, but it bears repeating, so we'll have the whole train of thought in one place. Sorry I didn't get the post in earlier when Arcade reported the event. Hard to beleive the difference between his records of the event and mine, eh?

One of my most favorite memories of the entire campaign was Arcade unravelling the riddle of Nostradis Ghend at high speed. Anagramming furiously, he suddenly sat up and cried out "Dread Night Snos?"

Most of us just sat there and blinked at him.
Somehow, that just didn't quite add up.

It was actually Glimmer who pointed out that "Dread Night's Son" probably parsed better.

Last edited:

Remove ads