Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

Bandeeto

First Post
Well, it actually all started (for those who care) back in a game being run by Tom-Tom's player. Myself, P'Cat, KidC, and Sialia were in this game, and it served as my introduction to most of these people.

I ran two characters at different times. The first was a dwarf named Bando. I was constantly having him curse in dwarven, in the following fashion:

"Conshohocken' fahrvegnuggin' kalashnikov batarang!"

I developed an entire repetoire of dwarfy swears, and I believe they were thoroughly enjoyed by all.

It was about that time that I decided that elf-speech consisted largely of car names and medications: "Ferrari lisinopril lamborghini impala simvastatin...." and the like.

Then I briefly brought in an elven cleric (with a horrendous Irish accent) named Porsche, who would occasionally reel off these phrases.

Arcade was a major elf fanboy. He thought all things elven were wonderful. He had even learned both Ancient and Modern Elven. So it stood to reason that he would name his familiar "Nyquil", the elven word for great horned owl.

Long explanation, no? :D

Avarice

First Post
KidCthulhu said:

Rule 1.5, for wives only, never ask for anything!

Note: this rule should apply to everyone, not just wives. I once played in a game in which, (while the party was strolling through some incredibly old and nasty ruins) one of my friends piped up and loudly demanded of the DM: "Aren't we ever going to encounter anything?". Of course, it was my character that was eaten by the great wyrm blue dragon. If I might borrow the phrase from Bandeeto: conshohocken' fahrvegnuggin' kalashnikov batarang!

Sialia

First Post
As another irrelevant aside, Conshohocken is a real town near where I grew up, and all our friends were greatly dismayed when they found that the hotel for our wedding was located there.

Last edited:

Bandeeto

First Post
Solely for my own amusement, I will post a short list of Bando's dwarfy swears on a new thread. This should die a quick death, but it may create some interest.

See Dwarven Swearing 101. :D

---> Edit: I moved the dwarfy swear thread to general discussion, and added a link above. At your service!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandeeto

First Post
Arcade’s Journal – Elzid’s Doom

...fame may be attracting attention. A ranger has asked to join the Defenders. Since Grundo is our only true front-line fighter we have agreed to accept her into the group. Her name is Tao Camber. She seems very eager to hunt down and kill giants....

...massive explosion in the night away to the south, felt for miles in all directions. Ortigal says that it originated near the tower of Elzid, an evil enchanter with quite a reputation. As Ortigal will be busy with research for some time, he has asked us to investigate....

...arrived at the base of the tower only to find it in ruins. The entire thing has been blown apart, and is scattered around the area. We found a stairway leading to a basement entrance. There are a number of dead bodies on the grounds, mostly armored warrior-types. They all seem to have fang bites, and the marks of a poisoned stinger. There are tiny hoofprints all around as well. Very strange. Also extremely odd was that Nolin was suddenly struck by a desire to leave his magical weapons here rather than bring them with us....

...trying to enter the basement we triggered a trap on the floor. A huge stone block hurtled sideways, blocking the hall. Alix and I managed to leap outside, while the others leapt inside. We made a brief search above, thinking perhaps that we should bring Nolin’s swords after all, but we couldn’t find them. We could find no trigger to move the block back out of the way, so I asked my staff whether it could get us past the obstruction. It said that it could… for a price. It demanded that it be given fine oils and polished with a deerskin cloth, with metal polish for its base. Exasperating thing!

I agreed to its terms. The staff seemed to concentrate, and a ring of green fire rose up around Alix and I. We appeared to move briefly through a grey and empty space, and when the fiery ring lowered we found ourselves inside the basement next to our companions. They had been busy. (Note: I heard a bit of strained creaking during our transport from the magical Flatbox of Holding that we recovered from Ghend’s tower. Must be careful of that in the future.)

While we were trying to get inside, the rest of the party was engaged with a statue which had animated into a huge demon. While the demon turned out to be an illusion, Grundo broke his axe on the statue and finally tore it apart with his bare hands...!

...we found several goblins slain in the same fashion as those above. I suspected that we were being shadowed by an invisible foe, and used my new Wand of Enemy Detection. Out of thin air, a bat-winged, hooved imp materialized, cackling madly. It’s stinger-tipped tail dripped poison. It shook off my Magic Missiles and was hit by several blows from non-magical weapons, all of which bounced away harmlessly. The imp then made a try for Nyquil! Thankfully, Cambion was very effective. The sword glowed brightly as it neared the target, and one blow was enough to dispatch the horrid beast. It seemed to be drawn into the earth in a fiery vortex as it died....

...found various notes and pieces of a diary. It appears that Elzid had fallen in love with a local girl named Erilyn Windfellow. Love had changed his evil outlook on life, and he had planned to alter his ways, win her heart, and send his imp familiar Zotzpox back to the Nether Realms. Sadly, the imp anticipated Elzid’s move and contrived for the mage to mix the wrong chemicals together, blowing the mage and his tower to fragments....

...found a destroyed lab with a secret door. This led to a cobweb-filled room with a chest in it. The trap on it was quite diabolical, and it nearly blew Tom-Tom’s face off. Inside the chest we found treasure, and a map of a sunken dell in the mountains to the west, north of Flamegate....

...Erilyn is here, held prisoner in a magical stasis field! We suspect that Elzid was trying to protect his love from the wrath of his familiar, but the stasis might have been Zotzpox’s doing. She was being guarded by a pair of bugbear skeletons, but a well-placed Grease spell and some effective blows from Tao and Grundo took them down. We found the key to release Erilyn inside one of the skeleton’s ribcage. We then opened the three sealed portals and gathered the rest of Elzid’s treasure. Curiously, it was located within three invisible spheres floating around the ceiling. Erilyn was given the diary outlining Elzid’s change of heart as a keepsake. Tragic events.

A scroll with the command words for the stone block was also found....

...we camped overnight so that I might memorize Detect Magic and locate Nolin’s swords. Nyquil scouted the area and saw a giant traveling nearby with a well armed demi-human. We are hastening to return Erilyn home so that we may return and track them....

KidCthulhu

First Post
Bandeeto said:
Arcade’s Journal – Elzid’s Doom
...arrived at the base of the tower only to find it in ruins. The entire thing has been blown apart, and is scattered around the area. We found a stairway leading to a basement entrance. There are a number of dead bodies on the grounds, mostly armored warrior-types. They all seem to have fang bites, and the marks of a poisoned stinger. There are tiny hoofprints all around as well. Very strange.

This was Tao's first ever Tracking check with the party and she failed miserably. She was convinced that there was a snake wearing one boot and jumping up and biting people (it's not easy being a low level character).
This is also where Tao's first animal follower died (not a long life I know) her dog. Three more have followed in his footsteps and to keep thier memories alive (and cause Tao didn't have time to name the first one) they have been named DogA, DogB, DogC, and now currently there is DogD. She swore if she ever got to DogE that would be the last.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Lots of adventures from Dungeon, I see!
I've used that blow-up tower adventure twice. Once in a Realms campaign and once in Al-qadim. An imp is pretty nasty for low-level characters.

Loving the early adventures. You guys are really funny! My games tend to be too serious. Demon bunnies! Nyquil! DogA-D!
And that's just recently.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Tao is really hard on dogs. Or more specifically, adventuring life is really hard on dogs. Interestingly, Tao went through all of her adventuring dogs before PC and I had dogs. He can role-play a dog much better now! DogD currently resides in the Royal Kennels in Kindric and serves as a stud dog to the guards troup of Doppleganger sniffing dogs. It's a better life than fighting undead.

Remove ads