Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

KidCthulhu

First Post
It was a scythe, used by an evil ranger (back before these things were possible). Nolin picked it up, intending to check it out, and started laughing in a slightly maniacal fashion. That was the party's first hint that something wasn't right. The second was when he high tailed it into the woods to prevent you taking his precious (so to speak).

Somewhere on the qoute list I have on Nolin's character sheet is the phrase "Never pick up the magic item and cackle." I don't remember if a regretful Nol said this afterwards, or whether this was out of character rumination.

Sito Rotavele

First Post
OH yes. That Scythe ruined a perfectly good rope of entanglement. and even after we separated it from Nolin (heat metal anyone?), it maintained its control over him. We had to keep him unconscious, and as much fun as Claris was having practicing her choke hold, we didn't want to cause Nolin permanent harm. Finally solved it with several judicioous applications of badgerbite, as I recall. I don't know why "Get Nolin Drunk" never became an official maneuver.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Sito Rotavele said:
Finally solved it with several judicious applications of badgerbite, as I recall. I don't know why "Get Nolin Drunk" never became an official maneuver.

Ah yes, Maneuver 11 - "Get Nolin Drunk". Ususally followed by Maneuver 11a-"Get angry maudlin drunk bard out of harm's way" or Maneuver 11b- "Get horny drunk bard off the barmaid."

Just too much trouble.

Jobu

First Post
KidCthulhu said:

Ah yes, Maneuver 11 - "Get Nolin Drunk". Ususally followed by Maneuver 11a-"Get angry maudlin drunk bard out of harm's way" or Maneuver 11b- "Get horny drunk bard off the barmaid."

Just too much trouble.

or 11C -"Keep angry blacksmith father away from drunk bard who slept with his daughter"

Sialia

First Post
Fade said:
You have to post that quote list as well!

Remind me--which one? Dylrath's lessons?

"If you're going to bother to get all the way up on something's back, backstab it you moron."

"Just, stay out of combat, ok?"

"If your going to try to learn how to fly, practice your faceplant first, ok?"

"Do not sell underwear belonging to other party members to Satyrs."

"Know your lower planes, boy."

"To Err is Dylrath, to Outgrabe, Divine."

"'I have fifteen minutes before my masters notice I'm missing are you busy' is not a pickup line."

That sort of thing? Or was there something else?

Sialia

First Post
Dylrath's Breaches

When cast upon a living target, the target arches its back, becomes rigid, and is hurled one body length into the air, whereupon it falls over backwards. A whale cry is emitted during the leap, and illusory splash is generated when the target hits the ground, and the paralysis is released after contact is made with the ground.
The spell may do 1d6 damage if the target lands on a hard surface (or more if the target winds up falling further than 1 body length due to terrain considerations, see falling damage rules). If max damage is rolled, the target loses consciousness for 1 round due to concussion (unless the head is well armored, or the target does not have a head, per se). Regardless of damage done, the target is typically lying flat on its back on the floor at the end of the spell, and probably loses at least an action.

Sialia

First Post
Apologies for the lack of story tonight. Still waiting on some confirmation about some of the events. Just for the record, Buried Up to the Neck With the Tide Coming In was actually played in 1996. Reconstructing it is taking a little bit of doing. No worries, I'll post the parts I do recall very shortly.

As a sop to the starved, here's some more Dylrath specials:

* Transparent Clothes
Lasts 1 round per level. The clothes are still visible, but they are clear to everybody, not just the caster. It works even if they are taken off. While they are affected, the clothes are colorless. You get up to one layer of ordinary cloth fabric per level (controllable by caster). It doesn't work on armor or illusionary clothing, and thin glove type leather counts as two layers. Thick leather isn't affected at all.
Useful to check for hidden traps, weapons and stuff, too.

*Magik Fingerz
This spell lets you find out what stuff feels like without actually touching it. You can't move or manipulate the stuff, but you can tell its temperature, texture, etc. just as if you had put your bare hand on it. The touched object does not feel any pressure, heat, motion, weight, or etc. from your hands. You can stand up to six feet away and must have clear line of sight to the object.
Useful for figuring out out what is in somebody's pockets or where the poison needle is in a trap or what Tao's bottom feels like without actually putting your fingers in jeopardy.

Remove ads