defending weapons

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Weapons with the defending enhancement that allow you to put the enhancement bonus to AC have to be actively wielded to be used for defense right. I can't just put my short sword in my left hand, mark its bonuses for defense and cast a spell with my free right hand can I?

The desription in the dmg seem to imply is has to be used but it is far from clear. If I was dming I'd know what I'd rule, no matter what the official answer is. But I'm playing so I want to see if there is an official answer, that would allow me to abuse the rules a bit. :D (something like 2 gauntlets +x of defendning and a staff +x defending/ +x defending) :rolleyes:

pontus

First Post
The official answer is:
Do you have to actively wield a weapon of defending to use its power? Or could you hold a longsword of defending in your left hand, not use it to attack (so you are not actually using the two weapons) and still wield a sword in your right hand without penalties? Or is the defending bonus considered part of the normal parrying that happens in the background?

Using a weapon of defending works just like the Expertise feat. (You have to use an attack or full attack action, see previous question.) You can't use the weapon like a shield; if you hold the weapon in your off hand and claim a AC bonus for it, you suffer all the penalties for fighting with two weapons, even if you don't actually attack with the weapon.
Source: The DnD FAQ

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Powers like that are generally "Use Activated", and for melee weapons that means "using it in the attack or full attack action".

This is also covered in the D&D FAQ, I believe.

Crothian

First Post
It'd be nice to just havea defending weapon and have in improve the old AC, but there are enough items out there that do that. So, yes, you need to actually use the sword to get the bonus. See the FAQ

Remove ads