• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defensive Bonus variations?

Errant

First Post
I've already noticed IMC that with Rings of Protection seem a lot less effective due to deflection bonuses not stacking (if I'm wrong, tell me where it says otherwise - please!).

Kinda takes a chunk outta a huge chunk out of the effectiveness of Rings or Protection, Protection from Evil & Shield of Faith.

One of the reasons I'm looking at a Defensive Bonuse house rule.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
Pretty sure the defense bonuses do stack with armor. I'll post tomorrow with more details, hopefully.
If I remember correctly--and I might not--they only stack for certain classes, possibly only the soldier-type class that I totally forget the name of. I'm not sure how this works with multiclassing, though.

Personally, I don't see how it's a lot of hassle to look up your character's new defense bonus every time you gain a level. But True20 simplifies this immensely, and essentially just declares that your base defense bonus is the same as your base attack bonus. Real easy. (Naturally, True20 uses a armor-as-damage-absorption paradigm, rather than D&D's old armor-as-damage-deflection bit, so armored warriors don't end up as ridiculously untouchable tanks.)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Oh, oh. Defense bonuses in WoT don't stack with armor or shields. You gain whatever benefit is better. The Armsman (or whatever) might get the use of both as a benefit, though.

The defense bonuses go something like this...

+2 +3 +3 +3 +4 +4 +4 +5 +5 +5 +6 +6 +6 +7 +7 +7 +8 +8 +8 +9
+3 +4 +4 +4 +5 +5 +6 +6 +6 +7 +7 +8 +8 +8 +9 +9 +10 +10 +10 +11
+4 +5 +5 +6 +6 +7 +7 +8 +8 +9 +9 +10 +10 +11 +11 +12 +12 +13 +13 +14

MadBlue

Explorer
The Armsman's Defense Bonus stacks. It's not as good as the other combat-related classes, IIRC, but it stacks with armor, while the DB of other classes doesn't.

MadBlue

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Armsmen get the one that starts with +3, so it's still good, but.

Oh, and the Defense Bonus is never lost, even when flat-footed.

Sravoff

First Post
I started a thread oalong the same lines awhile ago. It uses a Defense progression modeling after saves slightly. Good, Average, and poor. I modeled it after the revised star wars d20 system with bits and pieces from grim-n-gritty rules by kenneth hood. I think it was pretty well done by the time it dropped off the front page.

LINK

I also started on a skill based d20 system that made a dagger much more dangerous in the hands of a 20th level fighter than in the hands of a commoner. It becaem pretty well rounded out though there is still a small amount to do.

LINK

I know other people started along these lines for defense/offense increases. Another one was weapons as special effects. This is a very interesting idea.

LINK

I am sure there are others but those are the ones I am fammiliar with. Along with the many d20 books out there you should be able to come up with a good system that works for you.

Good Luck

-Sravoff

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads