D&D 5E Defensive Duelist fix?

Xeviat

Hero
Let it give you advantage when it causes their attack to miss.

Actually! I really like this. Double chance to hit would be fairly close to getting a second attack attempt.

But, riposte would negate the chances of getting an opportunity attack, so again there's multiple balancing points there for a rogue.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sure, that would be great, and make this revision even more of a must want for rogues.

"Wait, he missed? Cool, now not only can I use my reaction to attack him, but it triggers my sneak attack automatically! Man, this is awesome!!! drools ;)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Sure, that would be great, and make this revision even more of a must want for rogues.

"Wait, he missed? Cool, now not only can I use my reaction to attack him, but it triggers my sneak attack automatically! Man, this is awesome!!! drools ;)

How does a rogue use a reaction to attack him? He’s already used one for defensive duelist and what reaction allows a rogue to attack?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
How does a rogue use a reaction to attack him? He’s already used one for defensive duelist and what reaction allows a rogue to attack?
Sorry, we (the posts in general...) were discussing the Riposte, and I thought you were saying grant advantage on the attack caused when using Riposte.

What attack were you talking about?

Defensive Duellist in its current form can be pretty nasty. I've gotten a lot of good use out of it combined with plate and shield, particularly at high levels.

I would hesitate before granting its AC bonus in addition to an out-of-turn attack. Perhaps something more like:
Parry-Riposte.
When an opponent within your reach makes an attack against you, as a reaction you may impose disadvantage on the attack roll. If the opponent rolls two dice and both would have missed you, you may make an immediate melee attack against them.

. . .
I'm pretty sure Frogreaver is talking about gaining advantage instead of attacking out-of-turn.

Laurefindel

Legend
The parry ability has precedents in the Monstrous Manual. For the sake of continuity, i wouldn't add any riders to the parry.
I like the addition of riposte as an additional use for your reaction with the Defensive Duelist feat however.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
And back to my point: advantage on what?

Your next attack before the end of your next turn?
The next attack you make against the attacker you parry?

Since some of us were discussing the Riposte attack option, my thought was you meant that, and would make that feature very powerful for Rogues.

Remove ads