Define some genres

The Green Adam

First Post
Tried to check through the thread to avoid duplication but its pretty big. Here goes some of my personal favorites...

SUPER and SUPERSCIENCEPULP
Pulp with the super powers knob turned up higher then normal. Represented less by particular series then by particular characters...The Question, Dr. Occult, Tom Strong (especially with his more superhuman allies). Venture Brothers could fit if you focused on Dr. Orphius, Dr. Impossible and his group, etc. The more caped and cowled Venture crowd.

SUPERSHAG
60's Superspies and Shaggedelic Costumed Crusaders. The Adam West Batman TV meets Agents of Atlas.

SF - SCIENCE FUNNY
Nothing is quite as humorous as the complete annihlilation of one alien species by another. Or the end of the universe! Always good for a chuckle. Futurama, Galaxy Quest, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, Tripping the Rift, etc. SciFi Space Opera and comedy go hand in hand.

I'm sure I'll think of more. These are pretty tame considering some of the stuff I've run. If I can find it, my old thread '30 Years of Weird - Unusual Campaigns' had s cool ones.

AD

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Wow, awesome to see the life come back here! I think it's worth pointing out that Hobo's current PbP game I'm basically exactly resembles his first post in this thread: Warhammer + Iron Kingdoms + Cthulhu + Edgar Rice Burroughs + Ribald Sex Comedy.

Well, he said "steamy"...

The Green Adam

First Post
SATASUPE ReMix

One of the coolest and most unusual Japanese Table Top RPGs is a little number called SATASUPE ReMix. Its a gun-fu, wire-fu, asian crime, hip-hop bloody action comedy. Oh yeah! Described as both funny and bleak simultaneously.

AD

JPL

Adventurer
Forgive my thread necromancy.

This is the greatest thread ever, and I want all the kids to see it and learn from it.

WOLDPUNK

From Philip Jose Farmer's Wold Newton. Planetary would be a contemporary example, as would League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and the Anno Dracula series (and various other works) by Kim Newman. Various characters (or analogues) from different classic pulp, sci-fi, detective, and adventure fiction all coexist in the same continuum, and modern heroes and villains are often the literal or spiritual descendants of the classic heroes. My own INFINITE: Epic Modern is an RPG example.

Man, me from ten years ago had some really great ideas. Good stuff, 2007 JPL.

Remove ads