Define some genres

JPL

Adventurer
FUGIPUNK. The Fugitive, The Incredible Hulk, Kwai Chang Kaine...Benji...it's all about walking the earth helping others, then moving along, searching for your One-Armed McGuffin and staying one step ahead of the Man.

Tough to do as a multiplayer RPG, although "The A-Team" is an example.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
This is my new favourite thread!

TEEN MONSTER

I think that's pretty clear. Teens as monsters. I mean, more than usual. Teen Wolf, you know.

HYPER-EPIC

This is the genre of Steven Erikson, George R R Martin and even Robert Jordan -- extraordinarily long tales with dozens of characters and intrigues and history history history... My Barsoom campaign is sort of hyper-epic. Usually very gritty, and people going insane, getting vengeance, fighting last desperate stands...

I've got another called

SWASHPUNK

Which is swashbuckling fun (rapiers, witty repartee, swinging on ropes) but with that cyberpunk feel (AIs, artificial limbs, designer drugs). I know, rapiers and cybernetics, who knew? This is related to

KATANAPUNK

In which "street samurai" is what it's all about.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
DinoMod = Dino in modern time, Jurassic Park.

Weird Techno = Sci-fi and horror, Re-Animator.

Pulp Fantasy = Action heros in a fantasy setting, with sci-fi in the mix. Star Wars.

JPL

Adventurer
I got another one for you: ANGELPUNK.

Modern dark fantasy built around Judeo-Christian angel lore [and demon lore]. Plenty of movies to draw from, starting with "The Prophesy" starring Christopher Walken...plus the RPGs "In Nominie" and "Demon." The war between Heaven and Hell [or is it just in Heaven?] spills into the world of man. The human/angel hybrids called the Nephelim may be the key to victory.

Everyone wears a trenchcoat. Many can summon flaming swords. And you can play one of those Enigma CDs with the trippy Latin dance music while you play.

JPL

Adventurer
d4 said:
i don't know... i'm still on the fence. tell me, is it raining ALL THE TIME? :)

In Angelpunk, you never know whether it will rain blood or frogs or locusts or regular water-based rain.

It's a sensible precaution.

I dunno. Naming my little slice of genre heaven? My game's a combination of Pirates of the Caribbean, John Carter of Mars, Robert E. Howard's Conan, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, Lovecraft and The X-Files. Sprinkled with a few steamy "loans" from stuff like Iron Kingdoms.

What the hell kind of genre is that, anyway? It probably doesn't need the gratuitous -punk, but -pulp works well. SWORD & SORCERY STEAMPULP (otherwise known as SSSP, not to be confused with the USSR/CCCP...)?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases