Defining a decade with a song: 1970s

The Shaman

First Post
Pretend for a moment you are putting together a small museum exhibit on the 1970s. For A/V you can play one song on a repeating loop – this song is intended to give the visitor a sense of the decade.

What song would you choose?

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Just one song?

Hmm... Stairway to Heaven.

Kinda funny this thread is here. For over a week now all I've listened to (that wasn't NPR) has been mix cd's I've made of bands like UFO, Foghat, Humble Pie, Grand Funk Railroad, Thin Lizzy, Rainbow, etc.

ahh...for my misspent youth.

nakia

First Post
This is the hardest one of the decades for me. Do you go with the big rock bands of the 1970's (in which case I'd have to pick some Zeppelin, maybe "Stairway" or "Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid" -- the later simply for it's opening guitar riff, which just screams "ROCK!" and sets the stage for heavy metal) or the disco era? For disco, you almost have to go with the Bee Gees. There's also the funk/soul element. Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" is a strong candidtate, but probably gets beat by Marvin Gaye -- "What's Going On?" or "Mercy, Mercy Me" Marvin was genius.

However, one musical (sub)genre emerged from the 1970's that had a very significant musical and social impact and a huge personal impact on me as well -- punk. So, in the end, I have to go with:

"London Calling" by The Clash -- 1979.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
I was not alive in the 70's, so I don't feel right entering an *official* vote... so, unofficially, I'll go with the Stairway votes. ;)
I was born in May of 76, I was only alive for 3 and a half years in that decade. I still chose a song!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases