• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Definitive Greyhawk Adventure

When I remember the Greyhawk Adventures I always think of Expedition to Barrier Peaks - good memories maybe not the definitive Adventure however.

Shiroiken

Explorer
As much as I hate the 2E Greyhawk, the best singular adventure that is ingrained into the setting is Vecna Lives. It starts in Greyhawk, moves west across several notable locations, and ends with a battle between Vecna and Iuz. It's a super-railroad, poorly written adventure that would have been a much better novel, but it's definitively Greyhawk.

There was another adventure in 2E Greyhawk that was a better adventure, but I've forgotten the name. The party infiltrates the Empire of Iuz to rescue a political prisoner from Furyondy. It also has a lot of Greyhawk references that makes it definitively Greyhawk.

If I had to choose a more Gygaxian adventure (other than ToEE, which is THE definitive Greyhawk adventure), I'd go with either the slavers series or the Lendor Isle series. White Plume Mountain holds the style of Gygaxian Greyhawk, but doesn't detail much of the setting.

Paul Farquhar

Explorer
I would go for Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

It make more mention of nations, dieties and factions of Greyhawk than any of the earlier products I have read.

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
So, definitive Greyhawk adventure?

I think it helps my discussing what, exactly, that means.

Personally, I would rule out ANYTHING published after 1983; that's when Gygax stopped giving up the good stuff. And while Gygax modded the Greyhawk that we saw published, everything after that is grotesquerie. IMO.

Not saying it's all bad*, just that it's not Greyhawk.

This leads to the following observations-

1. The New Saltmarsh is fine, but by my definition it's not Greyhawk. Also? It's based on a module set in Greyhawk, but not really Greyhawk (although a great module!).

2. That Vecna stuff? In 2e? Definitely not Greyhawk.

Now I'm about to get to the good stuff....

3. Temple of Elemental Evil? Not Greyhawk. Mentzer is great and all, and the module is awesome! But ... NOT GREYHAWK. Call it a close and faithful adaptation with input from Gygax.

Okay, so, now that this is out of the way, what would I determine to be Greyhawk?

If I had to, I would say that the ur-GH is ....

A mashup of Tsojcanth and Barrier Peaks (S3 and S4). That's right- one has the hints of awesome lore, one has the whimsy. Between the two, you have Greyhawk.

I'd also except the OG series (G1-3, D1-3).

*It is.

Does the “Not ToEE” clause exclude Village of Hommlet? If not, then I’d go with that one.

If so, hrm….The Giants series springs to mind. While I’m tempted to say the Slavers series, I’d go with G1-G3.

Jer

Explorer
There is no definitive Greyhawk adventure. Because Greyhawk fans don't agree on what Greyhawk is. Some will hew to the idea that the only stuff that "counts" is the stuff that was published before Gygax left. Others will insist that everything pre-Wars is the only stuff that counts as Greyhawk. Still others love the post-Wars stuff but will reject the 3rd edition Greyhawk products as not Greyhawk. And others will embrace it all and try to make it all work.

Well, almost no agreement. I think you can find agreement among Greyhawk fans on the antithesis of a definitive Greyhawk adventure, and that is 1988's "Castle Greyhawk".

(For my money if you ask me to contemplate it and I want to give a serious answer I'd probably say the Slaver series - A1-A4 - because that kind of gritty sword-and-sorcery stuff is what I have come to associate with Greyhawk. But if I give my honest from the gut answer that I don't think too much about, it's probably actually the twin adventures "DungeonLand" and "Land Beyond the Magic Mirror" because that kind of whimsical "anything goes in D&D" attitude is what I originally associated with Greyhawk.)

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
Well, almost no agreement. I think you can find agreement among Greyhawk fans on the antithesis of a definitive Greyhawk adventure, and that is 1988's "Castle Greyhawk".
That's like, anti-canon.

If the sounds of nails on a chalkboard could be distilled into a book, it would be WG7.

If you wanted to know the feeling of getting kicked in the groin, repeatedly, that what reading that module is like.

Castle Greyhawk is the experience of watching someone get in front of you in the express lane at the Supermarket with a complete overflowing cart, and proceed to pull out their checkbook.

David Howery

Explorer
combine Tjoscanth and Tharizdun modules... definitely set in GH, ties in several pure GH notable characters (Iggwilv, Tharizdun, Iuz)

digitalelf

Explorer
There was another adventure in 2E Greyhawk that was a better adventure, but I've forgotten the name. The party infiltrates the Empire of Iuz to rescue a political prisoner from Furyondy. It also has a lot of Greyhawk references that makes it definitively Greyhawk.
That would be - WGR6: The City of Skulls

JonnyP71

Explorer
Plenty of solid adventures that define Greyhawk for me - a historically inspired setting that is vanilla enough to allow a DM a lot of leeway with it, but yet contains a load of interesting fluff and inspiration - the heraldry, the titles, the regions clearly inspired by medieval European equivalents... Perrenland IS Switzerland.

U1-3
UK2-3 (and UK1)
I1 (drop C1 into the middle of it)
A1-4
S4 and WG4
GDQ1-7

There you go, a fine campaign sequence which takes you across the length and breath of the western portion of the map.

Torquar

Villager
Vecna Lives was great! The look on your players faces when you hand them their character sheets for the evening (you're Bigby, you're Rary, you're Otiluke, you're Tenser, you're Mordenkainen...) was almost as good as the looks on their faces 15 minutes later :devil:.

Luz

Villager
If I had to choose a single definitive GH module (and not a series of modules) my vote would be Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Tons of classic GH lore, awesome expanded wilderness, and a superb dungeon crawl. I would've chosen Vault of the Drow, but I kinda consider the underdark separate (even though it's still set in GH).

My runner-up vote is Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure.

Pauln6

Explorer
The Falcon trilogy is a great one to run as it is set in Greyhawk city itself but otherwise the Slavers trilogy and GDQ are must plays.

GlassJaw

Explorer
I came into Greyhawk in the late 80s and for me, "definitive" Greyhawk was the City of Greyhawk and From the Ashes boxed sets. Man did I pour over those for countless hours when I was kid.

Advertisement