Planescape Definitive Planescape adventure

My favourites from 2E were 'The Eternal Boundary' and 'Well of Worlds'

I think a year from now 'Fortunes Wheel' from the 5E release will be considered one of the definitive adventures for Planescape in the same way 'Light of Xaryxis' already is for Spelljammer.

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
My favourites from 2E were 'The Eternal Boundary' and 'Well of Worlds'

I think a year from now 'Fortunes Wheel' from the 5E release will be considered one of the definitive adventures for Planescape in the same way 'Light of Xaryxis' already is for Spelljammer.
I’ve seen so much bad feelings about Spelljammer 5E that I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic? But I’m just not sure. Is LoX considered a good spelljammer adventure?

pukunui

Legend
I’ve seen so much bad feelings about Spelljammer 5E that I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic? But I’m just not sure. Is LoX considered a good spelljammer adventure?
In the adventure's own words: Light of Xaryxis is inspired by science-fiction pulp adventures such as Flash Gordon, John Carter of Mars, the comic Valérian et Laureline by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières, and the film Jupiter Ascending by the Wachowski sisters. In this adventure, brave heroes must defeat otherworldly foes to save their planet. Absurd plot twists undercut the sense of urgency, keeping the heroes on their toes as they stumble from one cliffhanger to the next.

So I imagine it'll be fine if your players are into that sort of thing. I haven't played it, but I have read it all the way through, and it's very railroady. Player choices will have minimal impact. And the catch-22 ending may not sit well with modern audiences.

No bad feelings about the 5E Spelljammer set from me.
Unlike Planescape, I can't think of any Spelljammer adventures from 2E that were considered classic / iconic.

Just on sheer weight of numbers of people that will have played Light of Xaryxis compared to the 2E modules is what makes me feel like it's the definitive adventure.

CharlesWallace

Unlike Planescape, I can't think of any Spelljammer adventures from 2E that were considered classic / iconic.

Just on sheer weight of numbers of people that will have played Light of Xaryxis compared to the 2E modules is what makes me feel like it's the definitive adventure.
Ok that makes sense. I’m one of the people who loves 2E spelljammer and I couldn’t really get past the way they did 5e version. I was so sad at the lack of ship based combat rules/tactics and the missed opportunity to have all sorts of fun random tables for designing planetary systems, and heck, what if they had guidelines for designing your own spelljammers? And you could easily imagine adventures styled like “episode of the week” one shots where voyaging PCs have like a Star Trek encounter with a cool alien race! Or, or…

Er… anyway, that’s what I mean. I’m not able to think clearly about the adventure because I can’t get past the other stuff I wanted. And I’ve seen similar gripes all over the internet.

But I hope you’re right and people play it and love it and more cool spelljammer content gets created. I still feel compelled to wait on buying the planescape stuff.

My feelings are still hurt. :(

Ok that makes sense. I’m one of the people who loves 2E spelljammer and I couldn’t really get past the way they did 5e version. I was so sad at the lack of ship based combat rules/tactics and the missed opportunity to have all sorts of fun random tables for designing planetary systems, and heck, what if they had guidelines for designing your own spelljammers? And you could easily imagine adventures styled like “episode of the week” one shots where voyaging PCs have like a Star Trek encounter with a cool alien race! Or, or…

Er… anyway, that’s what I mean. I’m not able to think clearly about the adventure because I can’t get past the other stuff I wanted. And I’ve seen similar gripes all over the internet.

But I hope you’re right and people play it and love it and more cool spelljammer content gets created. I still feel compelled to wait on buying the planescape stuff.

My feelings are still hurt. :(

I can understand that, just out of interest, (and apologies to the original poster for getting sidetracked) but what would have been your pick of the best example of an adventure from 2E for Spelljammer?

CharlesWallace

I can understand that, just out of interest, (and apologies to the original poster for getting sidetracked) but what would have been your pick of the best example of an adventure from 2E for Spelljammer?
Tragically, I don’t have one! I never had any of the published adventures! I had a bunch of the setting materials but no actual adventures. Now as an adult, I have lots of the planescape 2e setting material, but still never got an adventure. But I feel like both settings have you lots of ideas for good adventures to make for yourself.

"Definitive" isn't the same as "good"!

But there is a complication. Do you mean definitive plane-hopping adventure, or definitive Sigil adventure? They are quite different, but both can be labelled "Planescape".

Remove ads