Planescape Definitive Planescape adventure

Zaukrie

New Publisher
From the Collector's Guide post...

Dungeon 55, p18, Umbra (September 1995)
Dungeon 60, p32, Nemesis (July 1996)
Dungeon 205, The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Shemeshka the Marauder (August 2012)
Dungeon 208, p43, Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Fraz-Urb'luu, Prince of Deception (November 2012)
Dungeon 212, p15, Court of the Dark Prince (March 2013)

Though that poster mislabeled the Shemeshka adventure as Dungeon 204 when it's really in 205.
Those are definitely not all adventures. 205 and 8 are not....and 212 takes place in the planes (lots of adventures in Dungeon do), but really has no PS connection.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Those are definitely not all adventures. 205 and 8 are not....and 212 takes place in the planes (lots of adventures in Dungeon do), but really has no PS connection.
I'm sure you're right. I went off the Collector's post. I'm not a huge Planescape person so assumed they were right.

I've also opened a poll...which is awkward considering you're saying some of those aren't Planescape related and there's others.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
According to the indexes in issues 200 and 221, there are only two Planescape adventures in the entire history of Dungeon. Those from issues 55 and 60.
Right.....those are the two labeled PS. There are some generic ones that take place in the planes, but in skimming a couple, they are just planar. And, thanks for reminding me of those indexes! I had forgotten them.

Irlo

Hero
@Quickleaf

I read through Umbra. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a great example of the urban adventure potential of Sigil, I think. It doesn't work well as a stand-along adventure, as there are some contrivances to keep the PCs in line, but I can see that the plot points would fit into an on-going Sigil-based Planescape campaign. It's open-ended, with opportunities for alliances and conflict with various factions. Also, the factions are less monolithic than I expected. I like that there are tensions and betrayals among members of the Harmonium. I'm not very familiar with the relative power of the 2nd edition creatures and PCs of the recommended level. It seemed on the surface that the PCs will be pushed and pulled by powers beyond them, and I'd prefer the PCs to be the drivers rather than the pawns.

I will look at some of the other recommendations made here. Thanks to everone.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Looking again, it seems Dead Gods is quite highly regarded. It was voted one of the Top 30 D&D Modules of All Time in a poll for Dungeon Magazine. Published in issue 116. Dead Gods ranked #14. It's the only Planescape module to make the list.
Fun fact that everyone forgets about Dead Gods is that it's actually two multi-part adventures. While "Out of the Darkness" is the one that everyone thinks of (i.e. the plane-hopping adventure to stop Tenebrous), "Into the Light" is a separate adventure set in Sigil.

TheSword

Legend
I’m pretty sure Dead Gods was intended as a follow on to the Modron March at least metaplot wise. Unfortunately Modron March is pretty dire as adventures go. It’s a pretty massive railroad.

Dead Gods is probably the best of a bad bunch of adventures. It deals with suitably epic stuff.

I do think the best approach would be to play Planescape Torment pretty thoroughly and adapt that to a new campaign. All the elements in there are pretty sandboxy and hella-cool, potentially expanding the plane walking elements.

That’s certainly my intention anyway. I think the writers of the new campaign definitely took a few steps down that road.

Yeah, I think the Torment videogame is the better example of the possibilities and adventures in the setting, more so than any actual adventure published.

Outlandish, over-the-top or weird situations, usually with some manner of personal stakes involved. (the factions help with the later, as they provide personal values and agendas to uphold / challenge).

Edit: that said, I'll be on the lookout for adventures suggested too. That Umbra one looks good. ;)

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
@Quickleaf

I read through Umbra. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a great example of the urban adventure potential of Sigil, I think. It doesn't work well as a stand-along adventure, as there are some contrivances to keep the PCs in line, but I can see that the plot points would fit into an on-going Sigil-based Planescape campaign. It's open-ended, with opportunities for alliances and conflict with various factions. Also, the factions are less monolithic than I expected. I like that there are tensions and betrayals among members of the Harmonium. I'm not very familiar with the relative power of the 2nd edition creatures and PCs of the recommended level. It seemed on the surface that the PCs will be pushed and pulled by powers beyond them, and I'd prefer the PCs to be the drivers rather than the pawns.

I will look at some of the other recommendations made here. Thanks to everone.
Yeah, agree with everything, except last line. When I convert these sorts of adventures in 1-or-2 shots there's a lot I leave on the cutting room floor, and focus on the big scenes. For us, the "hook" worked because the pregens all had some emotional tie to the situation - being themselves orphans, troubled parents, torn between two masters, etc. However, at least on my playthrough/ad

Edit: As a commentary, one of the flaws with many of the Dungeon magazine adventures, especially those as Chris Perkins was honing his craft, is excessive verbosity – good ideas get bogged down by walls of unnecessary text that over-explain and obfuscate the essence. It's a flaw that sometimes crops up in modern writing too, so I definitely keep an eye out for it.

Remove ads