D&D 1E Deities and Demigods AD&D 1e manuscript on auction [UPDATED]

Jim Ward’s original Deities and Demigods manuscript is on auction at eBay. As of the time of writing it’s at $11,000!

THIS MAY BE ONE OF THE MOST HISTORICAL ITEMS YOU CAN BUY FROM JIMS COLLECTION! IT IS THE ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT FOR THE POPULAR TSR HARDBOUND BOOK "DEITIES AND DEMIGODS, RELEASED IN 1980 BY TSR HOBBIES IN LAKE GENEVA. IT ALSO INCLUDES A LETTER FROM JIM HIMSELF AUTHENTICATING THE MANUSCRIPT AND SHARING A LITTLE BACKSTORY ABOUT IT.

IT IS BEING SOLD AS-FOUND IN THE ORIGINAL CARDBOARD BOX IT WAS STORED IN.

Jim worked at TSR in Lake Geneva for 20+ years. He is also the creator Gamma World, the first role-playing game in the post apocalyptic genre.

UPDATE! The auction has been taken down, as Jim Ward had discovered it is a photocopy not his original manuscript:

“EBAY DEITIES LISTING
So many people asked about the copy issue I took back the manuscript to check it out. I discovered to my horror all the pages were photocopied. Apparently when TSR finished editing the manuscript and I asked for a copy, they sent me back a photocopy and I didn't know it. So in evaluating the worth of the manuscript you have to ask yourself if buying my personnel copy is worth it. I have taken down the ebay listing and will be putting it up again tomorrow with the correction listed in the item.

I'm sorry for the honest mistake. I wasn't trying to trick anyone. I thought it was my original.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Thing is, even if I could buy the thing, I wouldn't be able to take care of it. It's a piece of gaming history, but I don't know the last thing about temperature or sunlight or humidity control or any of the things that go into preserving documents. Honestly it should probably go to some library that deals in geek culture artifacts (there must be one right? I think there's a museum of RPG books in Durham, NC?).

darjr

I crit!
From his Facebook
266CC3AA-4E47-45D4-9870-ED7F1719B48E.jpeg

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
For some reason I thought James Ward was on ENWorld. At least I feel like I've read some articles by him.

I did post to a group that knows the guy who owns GameHole Con, and apparently that fellow a) has some money to spend due to his day job and b) has one of the greatest collections of D&D stuff out there, especially AD&D and earlier.

Me personally, I'd like to see this one go quite high - both for James' sake and also high selling collectibles bring a sort of legitimacy to our hobby in a weird way. Maybe the wrong kind however, I don't know.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases