D&D 1E Deities and Demigods AD&D 1e manuscript on auction [UPDATED]

Jim Ward’s original Deities and Demigods manuscript is on auction at eBay. As of the time of writing it’s at $11,000!

THIS MAY BE ONE OF THE MOST HISTORICAL ITEMS YOU CAN BUY FROM JIMS COLLECTION! IT IS THE ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT FOR THE POPULAR TSR HARDBOUND BOOK "DEITIES AND DEMIGODS, RELEASED IN 1980 BY TSR HOBBIES IN LAKE GENEVA. IT ALSO INCLUDES A LETTER FROM JIM HIMSELF AUTHENTICATING THE MANUSCRIPT AND SHARING A LITTLE BACKSTORY ABOUT IT.

IT IS BEING SOLD AS-FOUND IN THE ORIGINAL CARDBOARD BOX IT WAS STORED IN.

Jim worked at TSR in Lake Geneva for 20+ years. He is also the creator Gamma World, the first role-playing game in the post apocalyptic genre.

UPDATE! The auction has been taken down, as Jim Ward had discovered it is a photocopy not his original manuscript:

“EBAY DEITIES LISTING
So many people asked about the copy issue I took back the manuscript to check it out. I discovered to my horror all the pages were photocopied. Apparently when TSR finished editing the manuscript and I asked for a copy, they sent me back a photocopy and I didn't know it. So in evaluating the worth of the manuscript you have to ask yourself if buying my personnel copy is worth it. I have taken down the ebay listing and will be putting it up again tomorrow with the correction listed in the item.

I'm sorry for the honest mistake. I wasn't trying to trick anyone. I thought it was my original.”

Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
And oh yeah, anyone know if it has the Melnibonean and Cthluhu mythos stuff in it? 😂
Some one up thread said you could see that it included the Melnibonean "Mythos" in the previews shown. However, I have not looked myself.

EDIT: Post #25

EDIT #2: I believe this is the page that references the gods of Chaos
1623284200732.png

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
a lot of sentimental value….

We really started AD&D in earnest in the late 80s.
After 2e came out it was harder to find the edition we wanted to play for sale.

we haunted game stores and all that…there was no online shopping! At Gen con we would buy up modules and overpay since they were out of print.

my hero, Gygax was at cons and I laid eyes on him! Too anxious to have him signs the 1e books I totes to Milwaukee and now it’s too late of course.

I see this stuff and remember pounding beers and rolling d20s well into the night/morning!

those were the days unmatched!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Started at what, $200 and now it's bidding at more than $10,000? Absolutely insane.
Started at $0.99
I love how the shipping is $49.99. For an item selling in the multiple thousands, you'd think free shipping would be included.
I mean, he didn't know it would sell in the multiple thousands. He just knew he weighs a lot, someone could buy it in Hawaii, so $50 seemed about right if someone happens to win it for a few bucks.

And now it's over $12,300.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Probably more discretionary income to spend, after bills and such are paid….either way, a good bit of money to spend and I’m seeing that same spending increase on other collectibles and comics.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases