• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Delaying taking a feat

Utrecht

First Post
Is it possible to delay the taking of a feat until a later level?

Reading through the rules does not have anything that prohibits this.....then again, it does not have anything that allows it either?

Specifically, I have a character that is a Mnk1/Drd2 and am interested in taking Craft Wonderous device - but the prerequisite would be to have spellcaster level 3. - which I obviously do not.... However If I delay the taking of the feat until Mnk1/drd3 I would.

Thanks in Advance

P.s did a search for this and did not find anything -so I apologie if it has been asked (and I am sure that it has...... :))

Vaxalon

First Post
PHB 145, "Level Advancement"

Feats are step 7 out of 9. You must take them when you gain the level.

This has been asked, what, eight or nine times now?

thundershot

Adventurer
Nope.

Actually, the DM could let you, but the reason you shouldn't is that you would essentially be getting more powerful feats in the long run.

Chris

Sodalis

First Post
personally, I see no problem in it, butit would have to be a house rule. Th erules say that you get a feat at that lvl, and prolly have to use it at that lvl (as per adventuring and gaining exp)

meta- if you delay for one lvl, you are effectibvely living one whole lvl without a feat- so it is weakening you...

Personally, craft wondrous would be a lot more useful if you tookit at lvl 6, you have more lvls to play with and more xp to lose when crafting.. and more powerful spells you can endow you items with.

TYou do know that you cannot place bonuses onto magic items that is more than 1/3 your lvl right? in you case, at lvl 3 caster, you can only have a +1 bonus on your magic stuff...

you would have to ask you DM- most would not have a problem with it
;)

Tome

Explorer
I thought that I read that one can take feats for which he does not meet the prerequisites. Doing this at level 3 for the Mon1/Clr2 would indicate your desire to learn the knowledge, but your inability to use it until you have gained an additional level of Clr. Furthermore, The penalty of not being able to use a feat for one level is a strong balancing mechanism. Sure, he gets the feat at Character level three, just like a full cleric, but can't ue it until Character level 4. I thought that tthe Sage ruled on this.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Tome said:
I thought that tthe Sage ruled on this.

Yes, but he doesn't agree with your position.

I don't see any problems with letting characters save up feats, as long as when they choose them they would have qualified for them when they first saved it (no non-fighters with IC on level 8, for example).

Nightchill

Explorer
Hmm, think Tome might be right (or I have a bad memory) and the Sage ruled you could take feats you didn't have the prequisites for. Don't hold me to that though :)

Crothian

First Post
No, you cannot hold feats and there are good reasons for that. People would hold feats so that they could qualify earlier. For instance many rogues would like to hold a feat to second level to take weapopn finesse. However, under normal circumstances they can't gain that till 3rd. So, you are allowing rogues to aquire the feat one level early. That is just one of many examples of why feats should not be held.

Kai Lord

Hero
Crothian said:
No, you cannot hold feats and there are good reasons for that. People would hold feats so that they could qualify earlier. For instance many rogues would like to hold a feat to second level to take weapopn finesse.

...and every human fighter would have Whirlwind Attack at Level 4....

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I don't recall or know what the sage said, but other official types I think SKR but don't quote me on it said, well it's not against the rules as written but I'd suggest against it.

Persoanlly I think perople shoud be able to hold all feats gained after 1st if they want too. The points made by crotian and kai lord I can see, but I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I don't think it really unbalances things enough to worry about it basically. And in the end I'd rather have a player make the character he wants, if it won't unbalnce things enough to worry about it. My assesmnet that it isn't going to unbalance things enough to worry about it obviously is a value assesment which others obviously disagree with.

Remove ads