D&D 5E (Deleted)

How many "pages" of House-rules/ Homebrew do you have for your game?

• 1. None. We play strictly RAW/RAI and make judgement calls if the rules are ambiguous.

• 2. 1 - 5 pages

• 3. 6 - 10 pages

• 4. 11 - 20 pages

• 5. 21 - 30 pages

• 6. 31 - 50 pages

• 7. 51 - 75 pages

• 8. 75 - 100 pages

• 9. 101 pages or more!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Had our first play-test session in about a month with holidays and all, and part of our discussion was wondering just to what extent other groups use house-rules or homebrew content consistently in their games?

I am not counting 3PP material, so please do not include that in your vote. Thank you!

Now, by "pages" I mean a "reasonably used/full and adequately formatted to your taste" piece of paper worth of material. Use your best judgement.

In particular, to be clear, I am asking for the poll only about 5E. Of course if you want to share your house-rule/homebrew amount for other editions in your post, please do!
Most of the options we use are in the DMG. Does that count as house rules/homebrew?

And there are options from earlier editions we use too, some but not all of which are in the 5e DMG as well.

Since the 5e DMG is a pretty hefty book, I picked 100+ pages in the poll.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Most of the options we use are in the DMG. Does that count as house rules/homebrew?

And there are options from earlier editions we use too, some but not all of which are in the 5e DMG as well.

Since the 5e DMG is a pretty hefty book, I picked 100+ pages in the poll.
That sounds more like "none"

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
After running a campaign by the book (or by what I assume the book wants to say), I put together a list of modifications for the next campaign I am planning.

I thought my changes are quite extensive, but they are only a quarter page at the most.
  • Short rest is 1 night. Long rest is "a few days" in a town, castle, or other secured and hospitable place.
  • Exhaustion is reduced by 1 level every short rest instead of long rest.
  • Cantrips use level-0 spell slots equal to the number of known cantrips, which are fully recovered on a short rest.
  • All effects with a duration of 1 minute are extended to 10 minutes. All durations are either in "rounds" or in "turns" (10 minutes).
  • Characters can carry a number of items up to their Strength score while being unencumbered, twice their Strength score while being encumbered, and three times their Strength score while being heavily encumbered. Items count as an additional item for every full 10 pounds of weight. (A 25 pound items counts as 3 items; 1 base weight + 2 for 20+ pounds.)
  • Encounter XP are reduced to 10% their default value.
  • Milestone XP are awarded for returning from the wilderness with treasure. The XP amount is equal to the gp value of the treasure. (Expect 1/5 of total XP to be from encounters, and 4/5 from treasure.)
  • All PCs act on the same initiative count. Turns get resolved in order of players having decided what action they want to do.
  • Upkeep costs are used to cover common expenses.
  • Character races are limited to human, high elf, half-elf, goliath, and tabaxi.
  • Character classes are limited to barbarian, bard, druid, fighter, monk, rogue, and warlock.
  • Only PHB class specializations, excluding moon druid, eldritch knight, shadow monk, four elements monk, and arcane trickster.
  • Lockpicking and disarming traps takes is 1 turn (~10 minutes) by default. Thief's Fast Hands ability allows doing it as a main action with disadvantage.
  • Reduced weapons and armor lists to reflect the technology of the setting.

• Food and water will be tracked.
  • Ammunition and light sources will be tracked.
  • Wandering Monster checks are made in the wilderness four times per day. Three during the day and one during the night. By default, the chance is 1 in 6. Players make the roll. (That means on average 2 encounters for every 3 days.)
  • Wandering Monster encounters make a 2d6 reaction roll:
    • 2: attack at first opportunity
    • 3-5: threaten the party to leave their turf
    • 6-8: observe the party, repeat roll with advantage or disadvantage depending on the party's behavior
    • 9-11: retreat from confrontation, but might talk if able to speak
    • 12: friendly, offering aid and cooperation
  • Morale Wisdom save are always made for opponents and hired mercenaries when applicable.
I mean, even most of thst seems to be covered by reading the DMG and PHB...? "Tracking rations" and "tracking ammunition" aren't house rules.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Decided to change my vote to 31-50 pages to account for the homebrew. Can probably get half of that just with spells, but should be closer to what I've created and use in my games.

It is right in the title of the thread and in the poll question and in the OP.
So, I don't know what I could have said to make it clearer. 🤷‍♂️
I don't know, but given that multiple people seem to have the same confusion you might consider figuring that out. Whatever the cause, their is a failure to communicate.

So anyway I changed my vote to 100+. Given that in my current campaign going on 4? years I've created hundreds of items, spells, NPCs and other homebrew. We still only have a couple of sentences of houserules though.

Grouping houserules in with homebrew seems ... confusing and not very useful to me. Not sure what the objective of the pole is.
Then you are being pretty silly. I'll make a note not to count your vote. :p
That's fruitful.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't know, but given that multiple people seem to have the same confusion you might consider figuring that out. Whatever the cause, their is a failure to communicate.
Seriously, it is at three different places in the OP. :rolleyes: I think it is more people should READ the OP before assuming what they want.

Over 60 people have voted, only a few had confusion. A few others seemed simply upset over the concept that a handful of rules placed on a page didn't qualify it as "full" when the other part was "reasonable used".

So anyway I changed my vote to 100+. Given that in my current campaign going on 4? years I've created hundreds of items, spells, NPCs and other homebrew. We still only have a couple of sentences of houserules though.
Thank you!

Grouping houserules in with homebrew seems ... confusing and not very useful to me. Not sure what the objective of the pole is.
To find out what quantity of extra material that is made by the table and/or DM (not 3PP) is being added to 5E to make it the experience that group wants to play.

That's fruitful.
Neither was the post that fostered the reply. They were trying to be funny, I responded in kind. :)

Considering the poster liked the response, I hope they understood that.

To find out what quantity of extra material that is made by the table and/or DM (not 3PP) is being added to 5E to make it the experience that group wants to play.
Would it not have been easier to ask: "What is the quantity of extra material is made by the people at the table to make the game the experience the group wants to play?"

See, to me that goes back to what, to me, D&D is. It's not about playing a game with everything defined like a board game. But rather a creative endeavor. Where the DM is expected to make up stuff as they go along. Where players are expected to create characters through play.

Even now as I generally run published adventures, not a single one do I run as is. Dragon Heist I changed up based upon the Alexandrian Remix. Undermountain was only loosely based on DoMM. Beyond IceSpire was supplemented and changed. Even now as I prepare Tomb of Horrors I'm "improving" it for me group.

So, yea, current campaign is hundreds of pages, over 40 years of playing it's thousands of pages. But as for houserules, still less than half a dozen.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads