• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

demogorgon

Personally, I've always disliked the notion of "here's bizarro-race XYZ and here's their racial god ABC." In my campaign, I've done away with most of the non-human races, at least as important population components, and everybody worships the same pantheon. I actually have demon lords as important components of the pantheon, but there's no correllation between a worshipping race and a god or demon lord.

However, if you must make such a correllation, I suppose orcs work just fine.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
To me, Demogorgon puts the "out there" in outsider. He has scattered followers among many races, but the only races who revere him are inhuman. His plane is packed with fiendish animals, and his most loyal subjects are evil manta rays who suck life force. While Orcus represents despair, Demogorgon represents that leap into madness that becomes, "Must destroy!" He's so evil and bizarre that human beings, as a race, could not wholly embrace him without becoming something else. He is animal taint, moral liberation, the assassin of logic.

Seems somehow appropriate for a jumped-up copyist error. :D

"Before leaving Statius I cannot forbear adding a paragraph (which the incurious are invited to skip) on a mere curiosity. In the fourth Book of the Thebaid he alludes to a deity he will not name--'the sovereign of the threefold world.' . . . Lactantius in his commentary on the Thebaid says that Statius 'means [Greek I can't yet transliterate], the god whose name it is unlawful to know'. This is plain sailing: the demiurge (workman) being the Creator in the Timaeus. But there are two variants in the manuscripts; one is demogorgona, the other demogorgon. From the latter of these corruptions later ages evolved a completely new deity, Demogorgon, who was to enjoy a distinguished literary career in Boccaccio's Genealogy of the Gods, in Spenser, in Milton, and in Shelley. This is perhaps the only time a scribal blunder underwent an apotheosis."--C. S. Lewis, The Discarded Image, pp. 39-40

Last edited:

Quantarum

First Post
In my old 2E campaign Demogorgon had a huge human following, significantly dwarfing the death cults of Orcus. I liked the idea of having truly degenerate religions like those depicted classic sword & sorcery novels with human sacrifice & orgies taking place in the same temple (maybe even a hotrod & tractor truck pull on Saturday nights). Being the prince of demons it made sense that he'd have a following among the most populous of beings on the planet. -Q.

catsclaw227

First Post
"Before leaving Statius I cannot forbear adding a paragraph (which the incurious are invited to skip) on a mere curiosity. In the fourth Book of the Thebaid he alludes to a deity he will not name--'the sovereign of the threefold world.' . . . Lactantius in his commentary on the Thebaid says that Statius 'means [Greek I can't yet transliterate], the god whose name it is unlawful to know'. This is plain sailing: the demiurge (workman) being the Creator in the Timaeus. But there are two variants in the manuscripts; one is demogorgona, the other demogorgon. From the latter of these corruptions later ages evolved a completely new deity, Demogorgon, who was to enjoy a distinguished literary career in Boccaccio's Genealogy of the Gods, in Spenser, in Milton, and in Shelley. This is perhaps the only time a scribal blunder underwent an apotheosis."--C. S. Lewis, The Discarded Image, pp. 39-40
So, he's not the prince of demons, he is instead a typo?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Demogorgon, while powerful, is ticked off at his very nature.

The forces that created the multiverse made him as well, but he never made it to the "production stage." The creature that made it into production and subsequent release throughout reality was a complete redraft and much less powerful, meaning that he is now, and forevermore, just a Demogorgon.

I'd be ticked off too if I were a design dead-end.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads