Demon Queens Enclave - Session Reports

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Next week I'm going to be starting Demon Queens Enclave with a small group in the UK. We'll have 5 PC's each week, although the number of players will vary somewhat. I am DMing.

I have a simple question - anyone played it? Any advice? Any pitfalls, or encounters that turned out to be way more difficult that you expected? Any memorable moments?

I'm hoping to tie in some previous player experience by referencing Winterhaven, the Mages of Saruun and so on. Plus making sure that character backgrounds tie in to the adventure.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Since no-one has much in the way of advance knowledge, I'm going to be reporting on the game sessions as we go along with character builds, background info and battle reports, including anything interesting that comes out of paragon level play.

Last edited:

It's a Paragon level module, starting at 14th. I'm surprised no-one has any experience of it yet!

Guess I'll have to post up reports as we go along. :)
Yes, do that. I am still in H3 and have not much advice to offer.

Fun thing in my campaign so far is that Paldemar from H2 got away (though was defeated, effectively). I assume he is currently in the Labrynth, but maybe I should reconsider him to be placed in P2... Hmm...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sorry, Mathew! I'm still running P1. Can't help you for a couple more months. :)

I don't suppose you could hold off running it? No? Well, then I guess I'd appreciate any comments you have about running it!

Cheers!

Jack99

Adventurer
Even though it (IMO) is the best of the modules released so far, it just didn't fit my campaign, so I stole next to nothing from it. Would love to hear how it plays out though.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Sorry, Mathew! I'm still running P1. Can't help you for a couple more months. :)

I don't suppose you could hold off running it? No? Well, then I guess I'd appreciate any comments you have about running it!

No problems! I'll go back and edit the title of the thread in a moment, but for now let's bring up some starting points.

Why am I running this?
I've been running 4e since it came out, but recently I've had to move away from my usual group. Happily, I've walked right into a new group gaming weekly, and so this game is going to be the second weekly game (might turn out to be fortnightly). I've only got four players, so I've said I'm going to introduce an NPC to round out the group. We've effectively starting a new campaign at 14th level and lunging right in.

Characters
14th level, everything in the character builder is legal, bonus Weapon/Implement Expertise feat.

1) Human Avenger, Bond of Retribution build with Executioner's Axe.
2) Human Wizard, Staff, going for Thunder/Lightning/Fire Powers
3) Githyanki Swordmage, no further information yet
4)
5) NPC. Will either be a Cleric or a Archer Ranger, depending on what Player 4 decides on playing.

First session is on Thursday and will be about setting the scene, dropping in the plot hook and starting the adventure. It's very likely I'll run the "Eye of Flame + Magma Brutes" encounter suggested in the module book as a warm-up fight to get the players thinking and working together. Also lots of description of the Underdark.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas for Underdark locations? One thing I am going to use is the giant cavern of mushrooms with unseen creatures moving off in the distance, plus the aforementioned Eye of Flame encounter with a large pool of lava.

I'll try and post up both mechanical and story-based feedback throughout the games so that everyone can see how it's working.

Baz King

Explorer
Still in the Pyramid of Shadows here (took a 3 month diversion over in Forgotten Realms). I think lots of groups started with H1 on release and to be fair it seems like people tend to level every month. I'd say a bunch of groups are coming to the end of Trollhaunt about... now.

5) NPC. Will either be a Cleric or a Archer Ranger, depending on what Player 4 decides on playing.
Do you plan on running the NPC yourself? That might be very stressful. (Archer Ranger and maybe Pacifist Cleric might be your best choices here - Archer because it can be played easy, and the Pacificist Cleric doesn't require you to roll your damage - and also helps avoid the feel that you steel someones thunder ;) )

A better approach might be to have an NPC using the NPC rules. Just pick a few key features you find crucial for that role and be done with it.

For the "Cleric" NPC, powers might be:
[sblock]
Sacred Flame:
Ranged At Will: Low Damage Expression, one ally makes a save or gains temporary hit points equal to 1/2 level.

Guiding Strike:
Melee Basic At-Will: Low Damage Expression, one ally gains a +2 power bonus to attack and +4 damage against target.

Healing Word:
Healing Surge +10 healing as minor action, twice per encounter. Special: If a creature has no more healing surges, this power can heal the creature 10 points, up to its bloodied value.
Useful to heal the NPC himself once he is out of healing surges.

Divine Inspiration:
Ranged Encounter: Low Limited Damage Expression, all allies gain +2 power bonus to attack and +4 damage against target as Effect until the end of your next turn.

Aura of Healing:
Close Burst 5 Daily: Creates a zone centered on Cleric. Allies that start their turn can also make one save against an effect a save can end and if they are bloodied, they heal 5 hit points. Allies in the zone that expend their Second Wind heal additional hit points equal to their healing surge value. Sustain Minor.

Role might be Artillery (Leader), though this might lead to low defenses. Maybe Soldier is better, despite all the ranged attacks. The primary role might or might not fit his "role" in the sense of combat role either way.
[/sblock]

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Mustrum - that Cleric NPC is actually a really good idea, and would certainly help out the party in a way that isn't as complicated as a full PC. Thanks.

I picked a Cleric as I figured they'd be easier to play than a Warlord or Bard, and the Ranger, as you say, is pretty simple to play and play effectively. It all depends on what the final player decides to do, of course.

Remove ads