• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

denied dex?

Mystern

First Post
Mystern said:
the only possibility of something different is if they charge which mean i might want to take hold the line instead of deft opportunist.
it was just pointed out to me that i'm an idiot and have no idea how charge works. yeah i wouldn't take hold the line . . . an aoo when the opponent is leaving the square is more than enough.

Darklone

Hold the line is great if you have Combat Reflexes. You get an AoO against the guy when he enters your threatened area, an AoO (for trip) when he leaves the square, and extra attack for disarm with Imp Trip when he goes down and an AoO for damage when he stands up. :)

Jhulae

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
Feint is worthless at higher levels (11+)

It's your d20+ Bluff Mod vs their Sense Motive Mod + d20 + Base Attack.

When Monsters have huge BAB, it just becomes pointless to have.

Actually, Feint is good to have even at higher levels.

1) Most monsters do *not* have Sense Motive.

2) Most higher CR monsters tend to have high attack bonuses, but not so high BAB... (For example, a Pit Fiend has a CR of 20 and a claw attack with a +30 to hit, yet only has a BAB of +18, which a 15th level rogue with a 0 Cha modifier could actually match, using no feats).

So, if you keep putting skill points into bluff, maybe take a feat like persuasive, and boost your charisma, there's no reason *not* to feint enemies at any level. Sure you'll run into stuff you just won't be able to feint (just as every class seems to have enemies they just don't do well against), but it's hardly useless.

Last edited:

Mystern

First Post
Jhulae said:
Actually, Feint is good to have even at higher levels.

1) Most monsters do *not* have Sense Motive.

2) Most higher CR monsters tend to have high attack bonuses, but not so high BAB... (For example, a Pit Fiend has a CR of 20 and a claw attack with a +30 to hit, yet only has a BAB of +18, which a 15th level rogue with a 0 Cha modifier could actually match, using no feats).

So, if you keep putting skill points into bluff, maybe take a feat like persuasive, and boost your charisma, there's no reason *not* to feint enemies at any level. Sure you'll run into stuff you just won't be able to feint (just as every class seems to have enemies they just don't do well against), but it's hardly useless.

thanks for the advice. and i realized recently that a spiked chain only had a 10' reach, i don't know what the hell i was smokin wheni came up with 15. thus my diagram above should be altered: me=x, threatened squares=o

o o o o o
o o o o o
o o x o o
o o o o o
o o o o o

flanking city

Mystern

First Post
Darklone said:
Spiked chain wielders should get Enlarge asap, then you have 20 ft reach.
not in a world where magic use has been outlawed. (my last character died because of that . . . yeah it sucked) but otherwise sure. that would be great.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Mystern said:
plus, let's say i trip an opponent i'm flanking i get sneak attack dmg on my free attack plus a +6 attack bonus (+2 for flanking +4 for them being prone)
which also means a +6 for my ally

then let's say an enemy gets smart and decides to attack me. as soon as they move out of a threatened square i gett an attack of opportunity. all i need to hit is a touch ac to make a trip attempt then they fall and i get a free attack. then they stand up which provokes another attack of opportunity and regardless of whether or not i hit they have used all their actions. then it's my turn i take a five foot step back and feint (without improved feint) which is my standard action and end my turn. if they try to attack me again i get sneak attack on my next attack with them.

True, that's a great tactic, but remember- in order to trip, you HAVE to have good strength. You can be a rogue with good strength, but it kinda defeats half the purpose of having a high dex.

For you it doesn't seem like it'll be that big of a problem (since those are some freaking ungodly stats- I sure hope that wasn't some sort of point-buy), since you've got good stats all around, but keep in mind if you're basing your entire build around tripping enemies, you should expect to put an amazing stat into strength and increase it at every given opportunity.

Remove ads