D&D General Department and program ideas in a wizard academy

G

Guest 6801328

Well, you could blatantly copy the Unseen University... Using relatively normal departments at first, and if the PCs get more involved in the academy, start bringing out more and more fun departments.

Such as:
Department of Traditions
College of Recent Runes
Order of Post-Mortem Communications
Studies of Invisible Writings
Experimental Serendipity
Indefinite Studies
Creative Uncertainty
Inadvisably Applied Magic
Extreme Horticulture
Cruel and Unusual Geography
Recondite Architecture and Origami Map Folding
Morbid Bibliomancy
Oblique Frogs

(The Discworld Wiki has plenty of ideas. :) )

Experimental Serendipity is my favorite.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Do you know Ultima Underworld II CRPG (It is very old)?
It had a ( though abandoned) wizard academy which had a test for graduation that you had to pass.
The fun stuff about it was that most riddles where solvable without magic, it provided some wands where it absolutely was needed.
I've heard of the ultima series though not that one. Sounds like it would make for a fun wizards academy encounter though.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Well, you could blatantly copy the Unseen University... Using relatively normal departments at first, and if the PCs get more involved in the academy, start bringing out more and more fun departments.

Such as:
Department of Traditions
College of Recent Runes
Order of Post-Mortem Communications
Studies of Invisible Writings
Experimental Serendipity
Indefinite Studies
Creative Uncertainty
Inadvisably Applied Magic
Extreme Horticulture
Cruel and Unusual Geography
Recondite Architecture and Origami Map Folding
Morbid Bibliomancy
Oblique Frogs

(The Discworld Wiki has plenty of ideas. :) )
I did consider it, the problem being that my players are also Pratchett fans so they'd immediately pick up on them and that would change the tone of the game instantly which, honestly, wouldn't actually be a bad thing, but that's why I initially decided against using them. I still went there for ideas though, with a few tweaks I can get some more serious sounding departments.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
OMG. :eek: There is an actual School of Wizardry that opened in 2004 and is a recognized educational institute. It's called the Grey School of Wizardry. Some highlights form the offered classes are Wortcunning (herbalism), Beast Mastery, and Alchemy and Magikal Sciences. Graduates are recognized as Journeyman Wizards.

This is a real thing, I'm not puling your leg. The link above is to the wiki, and here's a link to the school website. :LOL:

G

Guest 6801328

OMG. :eek: There is an actual School of Wizardry that opened in 2004 and is a recognized educational institute. It's called the Grey School of Wizardry. Some highlights form the offered classes are Wortcunning (herbalism), Beast Mastery, and Alchemy and Magikal Sciences. Graduates are recognized as Journeyman Wizards.

This is a real thing, I'm not puling your leg. The link above is to the wiki, and here's a link to the school website. :LOL:

Recognized by whom, exactly?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

Oh damn, I wouldn't have even thought there would be a real world school of wizardry. Their 16 departments are actually good ideas for inclusion in my fantasy academy.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Having taken ideas from people here, from 5e skills, 2e proficiencies, that crazy school of wizardry, I've come up with a number of courses that could appear in the curriculum of a wizard's academy. Possibly more than I needed but it's nice that if I ever use this (perhaps not in my current campaign but future campaigns might) that I'll be able to throw out a few courses in front of my player's if they ask about what they can learn there while studying wizardry. Probably need a few more for some areas but this is definitely a good start.

5e Skill/ToolArea of study
ArcanaThe 8 pointed star (spellcraft through the lens of the 8 schools of magic)
Magical items
Arcane architecture
Eldritch symbols
Magical traditions
Planar geography and inhabitants (favoured by conjurers)
HistoryArcanology (study of the history of magic and its practitioners and the acceptance of magic in the world)
Ancient kingdoms and lost civilisations
InvestigationExpanding the Art (magical research)
NatureMagical zoology
Extreme horticulture
ReligionDeities & their servants
Holy rites & symbols
(Not so) secret cults & their practices
Sleight of HandPerformance magic (favoured by illusionists)
Herbalism Kit & MedicineWortcunning/Herbalism
Anatomy (favoured by necromancers)
Alchemist SuppliesAlchemy & magickal sciences (favoured by transmuters)
Other
SpellbooksProtecting your spellbook
Methods of recording spells
Saving ThrowsMental Resistance
School of Magic
AllCeremonial magic/rituals
Experimental components
Arcane Implements, on their benefits and use
Metamagical studies
AbjurationWards and warding
DivinationPsychic arts (getting the most out of your divination magic)
EnchantmentCharms, their strengths and limitations
EvocationBattle magic
IllusionCrafting your illusion, elaborate vs. believable
You are not an illusionist (don't advertise your tradition)
Shadow magic
NecromancyNecrology & the netherworld
TransmutationAlteration of the natural world

seebs

Adventurer
I had a campaign world which started with the world being mostly-destroyed by the aftermath of work in the department of High-Energy Particle Theology.

Remove ads