D&D General Department and program ideas in a wizard academy

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just for fun I'm making up a wizard academy which while it will show up in my world, is unlikely that the current group would actually go there. What is like ideas on are fantasy sounding departments beyond just the schools of magic. Think about how the wizards of Unseen University had heads of Inadvisably Applied Magic or Invisible Runes

Some ideas I had was Planar Geography, Application of Battle Magic, and Magical History & Development.

These are mostly for fun as well as a way to make the academy seem a little more real. I might include mechanical benefits but this would probably be from graduating from the academy. Though it would be best for a player to run into a situation where they can leverage their degree by saying something like "I have a degree in planar geography, could that help we while on the elemental planes" and then offering them advantage to certain rolls while there.

Breaking down the Arcana skill into its component parts would provide a lot of different departments. Likewise possibly a dept for each school of magic.

There would likely also be several large departments based around training in Verbal and Somatic components, since perfecting these is likely the hardest and most exacting part of being a wizard.

Then a couple of other required subjects like Eldritch Bookbinding, simple weapon combat, and Slood Dynamics.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Principles of Arcane Calligraphy, Mystical Gemology, Mythical Forging Techniques, Historiography of Magic, Comparative Magical Studies, The Experimental Component Lab, Ley Line Studies, The Department of Fae Relations, Remedial Cantrips, The Shaman Exchange Program, Ephemeral Economics, The Department of Liminal and Extra-dimensional Spaces, Planar Geography, Arcane Architecture, Transmutative Studies

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Principles of Arcane Calligraphy, Mystical Gemology, Mythical Forging Techniques, Historiography of Magic, Comparative Magical Studies, The Experimental Component Lab, Ley Line Studies, The Department of Fae Relations, Remedial Cantrips, The Shaman Exchange Program, Ephemeral Economics, The Department of Liminal and Extra-dimensional Spaces, Planar Geography, Arcane Architecture, Transmutative Studies
Wow, these are great. Are these all off the top of your head or did you already have a list ready to go for this exact situation?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Well, you could always go with the ones from the Harry Potter books. Your players probably will in any case.
I don't know enough about Harry Potter to really use them. I think the only one I can recall is Defence against the Dark Arts.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Breaking down the Arcana skill into its component parts would provide a lot of different departments. Likewise possibly a dept for each school of magic.

There would likely also be several large departments based around training in Verbal and Somatic components, since perfecting these is likely the hardest and most exacting part of being a wizard.

Then a couple of other required subjects like Eldritch Bookbinding, simple weapon combat, and Slood Dynamics.
Good idea, I was thinking of looking at the wizard skill list for inspiration and then creating a background like 'Wizard Academy Graduate' which lets you select the various wizard skills based on the areas you study at the academy. I hadn't thought about looking at the component parts though, makes a lot of sense now that you've brought it up.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Wow, these are great. Are these all off the top of your head or did you already have a list ready to go for this exact situation?
Off the top of my head. I do read a lot of urban fantasy and did spend a perhaps more than reasonable amount of time in a university setting. Toast and jam I guess. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases