• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Descriptions

Don Ventresca

First Post
I am coming up with a new wand, wand of summoning, and realized I did not bring any of my D&D books for reference. So if someone could pot like what is essential for creating a wand, it would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

- Don Ventresca

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Do you just mean the magic item crafting rules? Here they are from the 3.5 SRD if that's what you want. BTW, if you want something that's not a specific spell, you probably want a rod.

SRD said:
CREATING WANDS

To create a magic wand, a character needs a small supply of materials, the most obvious being a baton or the pieces of the wand to be assembled. The cost for the materials is subsumed in the cost for creating the wand—375 gp x the level of the spell x the level of the caster. Wands are always fully charged (50 charges) when created.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be stored (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any focuses the spell requires. Fifty of each needed material component are required, one for each charge. If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, she pays the cost (multiplied by 50) upon beginning the wand in addition to the XP cost for making the wand itself. Likewise, material components are consumed when she begins working, but focuses are not. (A focus used in creating a wand can be reused.) The act of working on the wand triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting during each day devoted to the wand’s creation. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Crafting a wand requires one day per each 1,000 gp of the base price.

Item Creation Feat Required: Craft Wand.

(Table follows.)

SRD said:
WANDS

A wand is a thin baton that contains a single spell of 4th level or lower. Each wand has 50 charges when created, and each charge expended allows the user to use the wand’s spell one time. A wand that runs out of charges is just a stick.

Physical Description: A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone. A rare few are metal, glass, or even ceramic, but these are quite exotic. Occasionally, a wand has a gem or some device at its tip, and most are decorated with carvings or runes. A typical wand has AC 7, 5 hit points, hardness 5, and a break DC of 16.

Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

Don Ventresca

First Post
I meant Physical Description, Activation, & Run Time, what necessities need to be described. Oh, and what do you think a paper wands AC, Hp, Hardness, and break Dc would be. I'm thinking AC 2, 1 hit point, hardness 1, and a break (rip?) DC of 6?

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, paper usually has 0 hardness, but magically reinforced paper might have hardness 1. So that might be reasonable.

Remove ads