• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design & Development: Magic Item Levels

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Banshee16 said:
I'll assume that's facetious :) Even a real-world scholar/scientist doesn't just suck in a fistfight because he's a scholar. I'd hate to see this implemented.

I don't expect a wizard to be tossing brawlers through windows.....but he should be able to stand up to a 5 year old!

Banshee
:\ Toddlers and young children have what, 1 or 2 hit points? I think 'can slay outright or at least mortally wound with a single blow' qualifies as 'able to stand up to'.

Ahglock

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Quicken spell is powerful during a single combat. But if you have 12 combats that day, you run out of spells quickly. What does that tell you about the inherent balance of the feat?

If you have no assumptions about combats per day, estimating the power of quicken spells is very hard. 3rd edition did have some assumptions (4 encounters per day with encounter level equal to party level should exhaust all resources), and I assume that quicken spell was designed (eyeballed?) to be balanced around that.

Which is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the per encounter mechanic, it should be easier to balance things across all campaign styles. The fact that I lucked out and 4 encounters was usually the minimum I planned in a day so quicken never was GREAT, just means that my style luckily fell close to the default.

JamesP

First Post
Simia Saturnalia said:
:\ Toddlers and young children have what, 1 or 2 hit points? I think 'can slay outright or at least mortally wound with a single blow' qualifies as 'able to stand up to'.

TEH INTERNETS said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

(Obligatory smiley) :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads