• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design & Development: Magic Item Levels

Remathilis

Legend
And as I thought, the levels have changed. This I assume would be due to the new 30 level scale, but a lot of weapons dropped in item level. Apparently, weapon properties won't automatically count as the next highest +1

MIC price is in Sienna

flying carpet 18th-level 15th-level
+2 thundering mace 9th-level 14th-level
staff of the war mage 9th-level N/A
rope of climbing 10th-level 7th-level
+2 flaming longsword 10th-level 14th-level
slippers of spider climbing 7th-level 9th-level
boots of levitation 13th-level 11th-level
+3 vicious sword 12th-level 16th-level
+2 lightning sword 9th-level 14th-level

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Remathilis said:
And as I thought, the levels have changed. This I assume would be due to the new 30 level scale

No, actually it's because the MIC scale was working with preexisting item prices. It's mentioned in the article. (A lot of item prices in 3e were way off).

Without that, they were just able to give items to the right levels.

Cheers!

Traycor

Explorer
What I'm hoping for are some interesting magic items for lvls 1-3. Most of what a player can attain at those lvls are masterwork or alchemical. I remember that The Red Hand of Doom has some neat little magic items that were appropriate to lvl 1-3.

I find it silly that all magic items prior to lvl 3 are one use, then at lvl 3 they can be used daily. It's too meta-gamey.

helium3

First Post
Aloïsius said:
Yup. We can have a 3rd level spell (for 3rd level character !) that allow you to fly one round per encounter. But "the whole party can fly overland for hours without need to cast a spell" may as well be a 18th level object.

Well, it'd probably be for the whole encounter.

frankthedm

First Post
Voss said:
Maybe not. It may just be that fire stops regeneration (and whatever else fire is for), so a flaming sword *has* to be more expensive. Its the way it is now (really, flaming has a CL requirement of 10th. Frost and shock are 9th).
Plus there is little room to argue that the flaming sword does not produce light. Since light is more valuable now, with missing darkvision and nerfed low light vision, that helps add value to fire too.
The rope vs the sword is also troubling. A rope of climbing explicitly isn't worth as much as a +2 flaming longsword. You'll use the sword repeatedly (if not constantly) over three levels. Unless the DM is doing something very strange, the rope will be used maybe a dozen times, if that. At 10th level prices, it stays in the shop.
With dungeon encounters being larger, there will be fewer 'rooms' per dungeon level. That can easily lead to deeper dungeons, were such a rope will be very usefull.

helium3

First Post
I want to make sure I understand what 'the christmas tree' effect is that people keep referencing before I make any other comments in this thread.

It's a joking reference to how 3.X PC's need to be adorned with a large number of magical items in order to be effective in combat at their level, right? That they look like a christmas tree because nearly ever magic item slot on their body is filled with some sort of glowing item?

Voss

First Post
Partly, though it isn't really 'joking'. Most of those items will also be increasing stats, AC, and saving throws, because all those bonuses are needed to keep up with the power level assumptions built into the 3e CR system. Some people disagree with that last bit though.

@frankthedm- an interesting assumption. But that doesn't strike me as a very half-empty and poisoned viewpoint. :)

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Mistwell said:
I disagree. He's not being harsh enough. The complaints about 4e have gotten so redundant that it's trashing the forum lately. Enough already. We've heard all those old complaints, and your issue is noted for the record. Unless you have some NEW complaint, and not just a repeat complaint about a new aspect, why continue to post it?

This is where I'd say "QFT" if I didn't previously swear to myself that I'd never use that acronym.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads