Design Your Own Miniatures With Heroforge!

If you've ever wanted to design your own custom miniatures, you could be in luck. The Heroforge custom miniatures site is now live. It's a little limited at present, but you can head on over and play about. You'll need to register to save your design though.

If you've ever wanted to design your own custom miniatures, you could be in luck. The Heroforge custom miniatures site is now live. It's a little limited at present, but you can head on over and play about. You'll need to register to save your design though.

Heroforge was a highly successful Kickstarter campaign back in February. You design your miniature, and it is shipped to you. The system allows you to work your way through a number of options, much like creating an avatar in a video game. You choose a body, head, hair, face, clothing, and items.

Here's my attempt - a horned female elf in chainmail, leaping into the sky, with fireballs in her hands. Try it out here!

miniattempt.jpg

JesterOC

Explorer
Expensive, but looks cool. The only doubt is the two plastic types. Hard and not good for painting (I hope this just means you need to primer it) or high detail and paintable, but fragile and prone to breaking.

Guyanthalas

First Post
Expensive, but looks cool. The only doubt is the two plastic types. Hard and not good for painting (I hope this just means you need to primer it) or high detail and paintable, but fragile and prone to breaking.

I actually didn't think they were that expensive for what they were, but I suppose comparing them to metal based mini's is an error on my part. The builder website works pretty well, even in my IE 11 browser.

I'm curious about the "fragile and prone to breaking" part. It does say that they are more fragile, but "dropping them from high up onto a tile floor" doesn't sound like a common scenario. It also begs the question of "what is high up", but whatever. I'll be curious if anyone gets these and can write a review for them. :D

I didn't back the Kickstarter out of my own stuffy principles, but I'm glad they got funded. I think that its something that can be highly useful and enjoyable for people!

koga305

First Post
My gaming group loves it! We've been designing minis for all our characters and sharing them on Facebook chat. We don't really play with minis, but we might end up buying some anyway - they're just too cool not to.

Dausuul

Legend
Only three comments? Wow, I'd have thought people would be all over this.

The site still has a few glitches to work out--under certain circumstances (haven't yet figured out exactly what), bits of the interface stop working and I have to close and re-open. Fortunately, you can save what you're working on. I put in an order for two "strong" minis; will see how they turn out.

Tanaka Chris

First Post
Just saw this, having a bit of fun though as mentioned by OP, still kinda limited in Options
Wonder when they'll include animal companions and/or familiars ^^

was

Adventurer
It's definitely fun to play with. However, I can't see myself actually buying one. The price is too high for a single miniature and I have doubts on the sturdiness of the material being used.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Got it working now. If it were half the price, I'd consider it, but $15 for a fig is too much.

Also not a lot of choices for clothing. My PC is a Celtic sort, doesn't wear a shirt and wears striped pants and has long-ish hair.

Quatermane

First Post
I kinda dig this... just hope they add more options for poses and items.

I also hope that they can come up with mounted options where you take an avatar you create and then have it where it is mounted on some kind of ride (horse, cycle, flying carpet, dragon, whatever). Obviously a mounted version of an avatar would add cost. But I think it would be cool to have mounted versions of my favorite PC for those times when he/she/it is not walking about.

The mounted version could also be used for creating nemesis NPC minis. That evil lich that has been harassing the PCs also happens to have a skeletal mount. Awesome-sauce!!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads