Designating All Daily Attack Powers as [Reliable]

mneme

Explorer
Actually, there are a few daily powers that are wasted -- there are dailies that have much more than 2x the effect when they it than when they miss (for instance, Lead the Attack might vie a +6 to hit bonus (plus some damage) when it hits, but only a +1 (and no damage) when it misses).

But yes -- the design of daily powers is that the "miss" effect is generally better than the "whiff, but you can try again next round" of a reliable power.

the Jester

Legend
I think "Half damage this round plus a new attack next round that might do full damage" is better than "I missed, but I can try again, and if I miss, I can try again", personally.

Keenberg

First Post
I am on the opposed side for this rule. As the Jester pointed out, taking the miss/effect leaves the power unwasted, and potentially you'll end up with higher damage output next turn if you hit with you next chosen attack. I feel making all dailies reliable would exacerbate grind by lowering party damage-output.

When you choose to use a daily, you're going to accomplish something. That by definition makes them reliable (at least more-so than a given at-will power or encounter power.)

chitzk0i

Explorer
Daily powers exist on a continuum: some do everything you care about on a miss and the roll to hit is to see if your damage is piddly or piddlier. Others have all the cool stuff on the hit line, so you don't accomplish much if you miss. If you don't like the ones in the second category, pick ones from the first.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Daily powers exist on a continuum: some do everything you care about on a miss and the roll to hit is to see if your damage is piddly or piddlier. Others have all the cool stuff on the hit line, so you don't accomplish much if you miss. If you don't like the ones in the second category, pick ones from the first.

This is how I've always felt dailies worked, but never took the time to research and see this was the case. I always struggle when picking my dailies and it usually comes down to one that's really cool and one that's slightly less cool but reliable. I personally like that choice.

Trit

Remove ads