Designing Boss Fight - Succubus (Help Appreciated)

Kinak

First Post
Stage 1:
Assuming the cambions reveal themselves, rather than disappearing or something, after Stage 1, it'll actually be better for the players to kill them. Left over cambions, plus minions, plus succubus, plus portals will get pretty frantic.

For stage transitions that are actually made consciously by an NPC, I usually just play it by ear. I think something like "most of the guards dead or the succubus is out of stage 1 hit points" would be a good rule of thumb.

Stage 2:
The minions sound good and I like the basic ideas of the zones.

My gut says to up the noxious gasses and burning sands a bit, but I don't have an eye for 4e balance. I'd probably do half healing values for the gasses and "walking creatures grant combat advantage" for burning sands.

Difficulty:
As a general point of advice, design a few "outs" into your most difficult fights. For example, you've got the duke there and at least one ally to the party.

Once stage 2 hits, it's pretty reasonable for the duke to switch sides. If you don't want to run him, maybe let the players make Diplomacy or Intimidate checks as a minor action to motivate him to action (with the first successful player getting control of him).

You also have their ally on the council, who might help in some way based on his/her level of competence. Maybe he/she disrupts a portal when things seem dire, distracting the succubus for a round as she eviscerates him. Whatever you want. Just keep that card in your back pocket.

Other council members may also help, if you have them there. I'd be worried about including too many moving parts, though.

Mini-Milestones as Outs:

A more 4e-specific piece of advice is that you can do mini-milestones in the middle of combat. Maybe with each portal they close, the party gets a benefit. Action points are always good, regaining or spending healing surges improves survivability, and regaining an encounter power (or even a daily) would help prevent it from becoming an at-will fest.

I'd probably just let people choose from a list: gain an action point (and you can use another action point this combat), recharge an encounter power, or heal an amount equal to your surge value. But you could also associate different options with different portals for flavor.

If the party's doing okay through stage 2, you can hold that for the last portal. If they're struggling, you can throw them out like candy.

Cheers!
Kinak

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Thanks [MENTION=6694112]Kinak[/MENTION],

I was pretty tired when I wrote that post last night. I'm glad it made enough sense for someone to give some sound advice out of it. I like your ideas concerning the outs. Yes, the other members of the council are perfect wild cards to help me change the flow of battle. They can easily interrupt or change any stage if things start to be getting away from me.
Agreed in upping the zones, and will look at my map lay out with your ideas in mind. I do want some place the heroes stand to be not too devastating... but I'll let them worry about that. Seeing as they could probably close a portal in a turn or two as a group, the zones won't be around too long.
Angry DM's article has some mini-milestone suggestions, but I think I'm going to adapt his to include your advice somewhat. Every stage transition (so twice throughout the battle) heroes get a chance to regain an encounter power and to spend a healing surge. I'll add action points as an alternative to encounter powers just to give them some options. And I'll be sure to spread the pain around so all heroes benefit from spending the healing surge (that's just the kinda nice guy I am).

Sadly our group had to reschedule our normal session due to grad school stuff, which gives me more time to obsess over the fine details of this encounter. Hopefully we'll get things back up and running soon!

Trit

MoutonRustique

Explorer
[MENTION=6694112]Kinak[/MENTION] beat me to it... what I wrote (should anyone care) [sblock]A possible solution to the over beating on the PCs is to offer a major buff/recharge for the PCs during the battle.

A possible avenue could be : when the Duc is released from compulsion he uses a family heirloom/artifact/etc to grant a massive heal and/or recharge to the PCs.

Another could be : closing a portal leaves behind a power surge that can be manipulated with Arcana or "suffered through2 with Endurance and grant a buff/heal/recharge.

Having one of the bystanders or allies be an angel that is tried to hid, but got found out and is slayn by the succubus and he grants a boon to the PCs as a death-wish.

Something else.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Threw together a version of the last stage (only the Succubus, lots of mind control, messy bloody fight).
There is -way- too much going on with her at this moment. I'd love any insight or advice into how to simplify her stat block and not make this final stage as complicated as it seems right now.
I've tried to give her a few attacks around (including the mind control element on 10 + Initiative), decent mobility to keep from getting locked down, and some great ideas from earlier in this thread regarding human shields and healing etc.

Elspeth 1.jpgElspeth 2.jpg

Trit

Remove ads