D&D 5E Designing Investigative Adventures

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I played in an LFR adventure where the 'investigation' was more like a chain of '...people who knew people who...' and began to feel like an excessive expenditure of time. Going to a source is a good thing, but it shouldn't be the ONLY thing. A source should give you a PLACE to check out and a reference to somebody else.

Ex: The town mayor's son is missing; last seen in the woods. You talk to the barkeep at Ye Olde Trusty Inn and he suggests that Flinmar the Druid knows about what happens in the woods. The barkeep also knows how to get to the Cave of Shelter that all the woodsmen use when they stay out overnight. In the cave, the PCs can find a burnt-out campfire and the son's left-behind gear and signs of a struggle. Investigating more carefully will show that the campfire is about 24 hours old and the footprints that aren't his are orc-shod boots. As the PCs get ready to leave the cave, Flinmar shows up, making his rounds of the woods.

Valmarius

First Post
For investigations, I like to give lots of half-clues, that require some effort to understand.
So perhaps, the murder victim has traces of poison on them. Which gives some clue as to how they died, but doesn't point towards any suspect.
But if the PCs can find someone to identify the ingredients of said poison, THAT completes the clue and gives much better info.

Also, I like to ensure there are 3-4 suspects, and make them quite obvious. Then have each completed/found clue point to two or more suspects.
Find enough clues and you can deduce exactly who the culprit is.

If I was building an investigation to a time limit, I would make each lead/clue require a 30min encounter of some sort to fully understand.
Then it's up to the PCs to try and investigate enough clues before the final scene, which I would trigger with 1 hour to go.
Then they have to act on whatever information they've managed to get, and if they've only whittled the suspects down to 2 or 3 then they'll have to go with their instincts.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I think it's the underpinning of the GUMSHOE system.

It is, although I've found the GUMSHOE system (in particular, Trail of Cthulhu) pretty impenetrable when I try to read it. I found it terrible at explaining HOW to use it.

Cheers!

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Ditch the red herrings -- they never help and players will create their own, you don't have to help.

Build the investigation like a five room dungeon. Use one of the more linear shapes so that each clue leads to the next. The three ways to find a clue is important, but also allow for spontaneous play to resolve a clue. You can make each 'room' of the dungeon/mystery a challenge that needs to be overcome to receive the clue. Each clue should point clearly to the next 'room', but not answer the mystery on it's own.

For that last, you have to introduce multiple possible bad guys. For instance, show 10 possibles, three men in red clothing, two men in black clothing, three women in red clothing, two in black. The first clue is a scrap of red clothing and a note about a rendezvous, which is in a back alley where the players are jumped by a gang before finding a satchel. The second clue is a tube of liptstick with a bottle of expensive brandy from an exclusive club. The players have to talk their way in (or buy or sneak) to search the place/talk to the clientelle, etc about which of the three women in red clothes prefers that color lipstick and that brandy. The final clue (at the den) is information on which exact BBEG it is and where to find them, leading to the final confrontation. You can put in a side room anywhere that either earns the players some help in the final confrontation, offers assistance if they get lost (this is a great device if you think the players might go off the rails, let them know there's a one time help, like an oracle that will answer a question or a friendly sage that can offer advice), or, if you insist, is the outcome of a red herring. If you use the herring, it needs to be quickly resolved as false and immediately point back in the right direction.

If you build the mystery so that it unfolds this way, with each clue both offering one crucial but not deterministic part of the puzzle AND also leading directly to the next clue, you give the players something to discuss and mull on but also a clear path through the investigation so they don't bog down. Bogging down is the biggest risk you face in this style adventure.

Now, all of this is advice geared towards your Con game needs -- personally, I build more organic investigations that take longer, but I'm not limited to a four hour slot in my home game. With the constraints you provide, you need to put in some rails. Let the adventure be about how they overcome the challenges to get the clues and not finding lots of clues and then detectiving which are good and which aren't and solving the riddle. That makes for a great TV show, but a bad Con game.

Finally, because you will have that party that just guesses and goes for one of the possible bad guys, you need to either be ready to let the adventure end quickly in success or failure, or consider how to prevent the players from accessing the BBEG without finding most of the clues. In a non-con game, the repercussions of failure usually will suffice, but in a Con game, maybe think of adding pieces of a key or other thing they have to overcome prior to assaulting the BBEG as part of the clues. They have to collect at least 2 of the 3 before they can skip to the end because they just cannot get to the end without those clues. Again, rails aren't necessarily bad for a con game if you allow plenty of leeway in how the actual challenges are overcome.

Grumbleputty

Explorer
I've been wrestling with a similar dilemma in the adventure I'm writing, and part of my solution is to have several other factions trying to unravel the same mystery the party is trying to solve- in my story, the Big-Bad's scheme messes up the plans of an Even-Worse-Bad, and if the party doesn't act the result will be Oh-Good-Grief-That's-Terrible-For-Everyone-Bad. Since this other group is pursuing the same trail, it offer the DM a way to introduce clues that otherwise would be down paths the players chose not to follow. In my case the Even-Bigger-Bad would like to remain in hiding if possible, so they've got a very good reason to steer the party towards clues they've found on their own. If the party is smart enough to realize they're being manipulated they can gain some advantages in the big climax, otherwise they'll be caught between both sides in the final showdown.

I realize I'm being both vague and super-specific to my project, but hopefully there's something in there that proves useful for you!

aco175

Legend
You can also include PCquests that the others are not aware of. The trick is to make them minor enough that the players do not sidetrack the main quest. If the investigation leads to the marketplace, a PCquest may be to deliver a note to someone. This person may have another clue that helps find the main clue that is needed. The main quest chooses the tavern over the temple, they may find something and miss something else.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Ditch the red herrings -- they never help and players will create their own, you don't have to help.

Very true! Probably a bad term in reference to how I'm approaching this adventure: in fact, they're mostly the results of alternative (false) interpretations of the clues.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Very true! Probably a bad term in reference to how I'm approaching this adventure: in fact, they're mostly the results of alternative (false) interpretations of the clues.

In a normal game, I'd cheer this, but it's a four hour con game. Get simple. That doesn't mean stupid, but things need to be straightforward. In fact, i'd recommend that the mystery not be the actual focus, but just the motivation to move through the challenges. Again, for a con game in a 4 hour slot you want to avoid turning the game into a discussion about what the clues mean and more into a 'ah, another clue, we now know we need to go do this.' Pacing is critical in con games, and leaving the clues ambiguous and open to (false) interpretation will kill your ability to pace the game.

Remove ads